Fx5 Too Strong?

IlliniGuy18

Reaction score
I am setting up a 72 gallon Bowfront in the next month and plan to keep a very nice planted tropical tank, like many of the members on this board. I was planning on purchasing a Fluval FX5 since I would be able to handle a larger bio-load. Will this filter be too much for a live planted tank? Thoughts????

No. In general its always best to over-filter any tank and that also applies to planted tanks, on a tank of this size the more the better, within reason.

Sam

Call me stupid, but do you mean over-filtering, or too much output flow causing a strong current in the tank?

Because if it's the strong current your worried about [as over-filtering isn't really a problem] then I recommend maybe finding a spray bar attatchment - sorted me out when I had too much flow in the 30 gallon.

Paul.

Call me stupid, but do you mean over-filtering, or too much output flow causing a strong current in the tank?

Because if it's the strong current your worried about [as over-filtering isn't really a problem] then I recommend maybe finding a spray bar attatchment - sorted me out when I had too much flow in the 30 gallon.

Paul.

What I'm concerned about is creating a very strong current, resulting in high surface agitation. This could result in too much CO2 escaping. Thoughts???

I used to have the filter output over the surface of the water - and had no co2 results, but now the output is under the water surface the co2 has risen.

So yeh, your right.

I used to have the filter output over the surface of the water - and had no co2 results, but now the output is under the water surface the co2 has risen.

So yeh, your right.

So do you think I would be OK with the fluval fx5 if I pointed the filter output down into the tank, away from the surface?

just make it so where the water returns to the tank. extend it down more towards the bottom of the tank. not so close to the top. great filter for a 75g though. no worries

Most reactions

Back