Fundulopanchax Gardneri Nigerianus Sp.

tropicalgirl2007

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have decided that I like the above fish as recommended. I found some eggs for sale. How easy is it the hatch them?

www.killifishsales.co.uk Brian is a good guy and local to myself i know he dose have them and will post them as well as eggs.

He feeds greed water at first then onto newly hatched brine shrimp, they grow fast and breeding at 4-6 months i believe.

www.killifishsales.co.uk Brian is a good guy and local to myself i know he dose have them and will post them as well as eggs.

He feeds greed water at first then onto newly hatched brine shrimp, they grow fast and breeding at 4-6 months i believe.

Hi thank for that I will go and have a look.

DOH, the site is down. :(

Hi,
There are many many species and subspecies of Fp. gardneri. (with different colour patterns and finnage) They are found at many locations mainly in Nigeria and Cameroon. Probably the most stunning population of all in my opinion is Fp. gardneri nig. Jos Plateau. ( I like to keep this population, and have kept them since the early eighties)
All populations can be maintained in an aquarium of 18"x8"x8" for a pair/trio (1 male : 2 females) but I like to give them an 18"x10"x10" bare bottomed tank with both floating and sunken mops. A small air driven sponge filter is installed and the temperature of 72-76 degrees F. is about right. (22-24 degrees C.) soft water with a pH in or around 6.8 suits them fine. These fish are excellent jumpers and this cannot be expressed enough so a tight fitting lid/hood is essential. Eggs can be picked from the mops on a daily basis (carefully using your fingers) and placed in a margarine tub with the same water quality from the parent tank and a small airstone set to a trickle. (remove fungussed eggs on a daily basis) The eggs hatch in or around 18 - 21 days (some sooner, some later) and will take newly hatched brineshrimp or microworm straight away. It's best to rear the fry seperate from the parents if you wish to breed them for quantity but it is possible to breed them in the more natural state but only a few will survive as you already have witnessed.
Whilst in this setup give you breeding stock a varied diet which should include staple flake, frozen and more importantly livefood, to keep them in peak condition.
Fp. gardneri should present yo with little or no problems given proper water changes and all the above crieteria are met.
I hope this was of some help. If you have any more queries on the subject then please ask.
Regards
BigC
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...awning_Mop.html
If you cant get hold of any they let me know, but Brian should be able to sort you out with some initial stock.

Most reactions

Back