Fun question

suspectdebbie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey how did everyone get started keeping fish?
In my case, my son MRshouty (who posts around here too) brought home a teeny tiny WCM from his biology class. Which they had been keeping in a 2 liter pop (soda/coke whatever you call it in you area) bottle, which for purely aesthetic reasons I wanted to move the fish into soemthing prettier, I originally thought a gold fish bowl. Then we decided he needed friends, then the store said no he needs a tank/filter/heater. Now a couple months later here we are getting ready to start a second tank. Good Lord all I thought I was going to do was buy a 5 dollar goldfish bowl.

But the fishies are soooo pretty and fun! :hyper:

One day I said, MOM I want a fish tank. One year later I have three tanks that are very stable. Soon I hope to get my biggest tank yet(80-120 gallons). 8)

Daveo :flex:

I've always had fish tanks when i was younger. But the reason i got back into it was because i had lived with my boyfriend, his mom and his stepdad, for sometime and his mom and stepdad split so me his mom and him moved to an apartment. Well lets just say the split wasnt too pretty (he wasn't allowed back in the house untill we were gone) and he had a 45 gallon fish tank in which all the fish except for 4 had died, so feeling bad for the 4 reminaing fish and knowing their fate, I bought a cheap 5 gallon tank with filters, etc. and brought them to the apartment.
Well they lasted about 4 months, and then started dying off. I felt bad so i deemed the 5 gallon useless and got a betta instead in a 1 gallon tank.

Then my boyfriend and I decided to buy our own house, and there was an empty spot in the living room, so i decided to get back into it, and bought a 30 gallon tank to fill the empty spot.

Let just say from that moment on I was in trouble. Now I have 2 betta tanks, a 20 gallon, a 55 gallon, and the 30 gallon that started it all!

Can we say ADDICTED!

Nina7777 said:
Can we say ADDICTED!
No kidding!!!
This is what started it all Peanut when my son brought him home.
Peanut.jpg

and about 3 weeks later
pnut.jpg

Our first fish were all inherited. Eventually some of them passed away, so of course we had to get more so the others wouldnt get lonely. :fun: Our plan was to eliminate the 20 and move all fish to the 60. Of course then we ran into problems with fish that didnt fit in. So the 20 became the isle of misfit fish. Therefore now we have to buy a 100g cuz we miss having big cichlids.

i had awalys admired the fishtank in my doctors waiting room so one day i spotted a tank at a yardsale and ende up buying it.
the fish are so fun to watch and now i am really getting into it. like breeding and culling and such.

I wanted to win a goldfish at the fair hehe. So my grandma went and bought me a one gallon tank and a goldfish :D.... I've learned a lot since then. That was when i was 12 or 13 I think.

An episode of Le Femme Nikita got me started. Can you guess which episode? :)

Well, we had a tank a long time ago. Last year, I bought some goldfish for our pond. I decided it would be cheaper to winter them indoors in our old tank rather than spend all that money on a pond heater!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We now have 7 tanks! I forgot how much fun fishies were!

I just wanted a pet. At first I wanted something unusual, like a sugar glider. When I found out how expensive those were $150+ and they like to be in pairs I decided to keep looking.

Finally fish struck my mind. They are relatively easy to care for, interesting to watch, not noisy only need a set space of room to live, and although costs can add up, it is really not all that expensive (yet ;) ).

Also I already had a used 10g tank and a filter.

I spotted a 15g tank in my friends garden filling up with rainwater. I asked him if i could have it in exchange for an old 21" TV i had (he only had a 14" portable). Mainly i wanted it for my baby boy to watch so we got the tank home, went to a LFS and bought filter, etc.
Next time we went to the LFS i spotted a 30g on sale with all the kit for a tropical setup. What started as a trip to buy an algae scraper ended up being a big dent in my wallet.
A week ago we went to the same LFS and found that they had one tank left on the sale offer so guess what............

Another dent :X

(I'm not allowed to look on eBay :D - fiancee's orders)

My cat decided he wanted to move out, so he ran out the door. So now he lives out in the neighborhood and refuses to get within twenty feet of anyone in my family. Feeling like someone who had just been dumped by their boyfriend of two years, I went looking for a dog at the shelters. Well, then other stuff came up, and I was unable to get a dog for the moment. Then I remembered the empty thirty gallon out in the garage. So I thought, hmm, maybe I should get a snake. But no snakes to buy close enough, and I couldn't find my heater pad thingy, so said no to snake. Then thought, tree frogs! Again, none close to me, and the house was chilly. Thought very hard. Uh... fish? Sounds good. So began my month long journey on the web to find the perfect fish. Needless to say, I still haven't gotten the thing, because it would cost almost 40 dollars to buy on the internet. And now I'm moving, so I have to figure out how to move everyone. And now I want bettas... and a puppy.... My life is a horrible string of cute animals that want me to take them home... nooooooooooo!!!!

NinjaSmurf said:
My cat decided he wanted to move out, so he ran out the door. So now he lives out in the neighborhood and refuses to get within twenty feet of anyone in my family. Feeling like someone who had just been dumped by their boyfriend of two years, I went looking for a dog at the shelters. Well, then other stuff came up, and I was unable to get a dog for the moment. Then I remembered the empty thirty gallon out in the garage. So I thought, hmm, maybe I should get a snake. But no snakes to buy close enough, and I couldn't find my heater pad thingy, so said no to snake. Then thought, tree frogs! Again, none close to me, and the house was chilly. Thought very hard. Uh... fish? Sounds good. So began my month long journey on the web to find the perfect fish. Needless to say, I still haven't gotten the thing, because it would cost almost 40 dollars to buy on the internet. And now I'm moving, so I have to figure out how to move everyone. And now I want bettas... and a puppy.... My life is a horrible string of cute animals that want me to take them home... nooooooooooo!!!!
You name entertains me!

What did you do to your cat? :huh:

:fish:

Most reactions

Back