Full Low Tec Planted

Fantail_John

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I now have a full low tec planted tank, but wood still tanning a bit, so would it be ok to do 10 % water changes to get the tanning down? or weekly changes? Thank you :)

I now have a full low tec planted tank, but wood still tanning a bit, so would it be ok to do 10 % water changes to get the tanning down? or weekly changes? Thank you :)
Hi,i think that the use of carbon in your filter actually gets rid of tannins in the water, carbon also takes out odours and impurities if you dont want to do that i think a 10%water change every week is ok,but depending on how big your wood is it might take a while,probably about a month or 6 weeks or so until you see the water not getting tinged with that light brown colour,other wise to accelarate this you could boil the peice of wood in a large saucepan if its too big then maybe try and boil one side at a time,this should help get most of the tannins out. my last set up i gad a peice of wood soaked in the garden and i remember changing the water everyday for 2 months !!!! and the tannin was still colouring the water when i ran out of patience and put it in my tank!!!!

Hi,i think that the use of carbon in your filter actually gets rid of tannins in the water, carbon also takes out odours and impurities if you dont want to do that i think a 10%water change every week is ok,but depending on how big your wood is it might take a while,probably about a month or 6 weeks or so until you see the water not getting tinged with that light brown colour,other wise to accelarate this you could boil the peice of wood in a large saucepan if its too big then maybe try and boil one side at a time,this should help get most of the tannins out. my last set up i gad a peice of wood soaked in the garden and i remember changing the water everyday for 2 months !!!! and the tannin was still colouring the water when i ran out of patience and put it in my tank!!!!

I did soak it for 3 weeks just pouring boiling water over it and then soaking in the water I poured in, was told on another thread that boiling would make it crack and crumble? so carbon in and 10 % water changes should do it then :) thank's :good:

I did soak it for 3 weeks just pouring boiling water over it and then soaking in the water I poured in, was told on another thread that boiling would make it crack and crumble? so carbon in and 10 % water changes should do it then :) thank's :good:
Hi,no probs,i didnt have a problem with cracking and crumbling,you just need to do it slowly,i suppose the wood will start cumbling if you left it out of water to dry out ! anyway good luck :D

Most reactions

Back