Fry Rescue.

bigcheed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've noticed fry in my tank. I have a hatchery but how do I get them in there before my other fish eat them. There tiny and I can't seem to catch them. There are only a couple and I keep losing them in the java fern.

I just got mine out with a net. Move some plants/rocks etc if possible. 

Maybe I got lucky.

I'm a bit reluctant to take the cover out as I think the other fish will get at them before I do.

i asked a similar question, but in my case my fish havent had babies yet.

They all told me to just let the fry hide themselves and let nature do its thing.

if they are strong they will grow and be large enough not to be eaten.

if you want to save them, i have no experience, but have heard a net or turkey baster is the way forward.

Maybe gently use your substrate vac??

What kind of fry, and are you intentionally trying to raise lots of them? If not I'd just make sure you have lots of thick plants (java moss, cabomba, etc.) for them to hide away and as said, the strong will survive. If you do want to retrieve them, I always had the best luck with my turkey baster. The vac is a little too violent for them.

Let em hang out in the Java fern til they're big enough to catch.

I just rescued 17 baby platies from a friends community tank. Used the tube from the gravel siphon to suck them out into a bag. Worked great and all 17 platies are happy in my daughters baby tank.

I used to try and look after Platy and Guupy fry but quickly learned that they bred like rabbits and will take over your tank. If it were me I'd just leave them in and let nature take it's course. They have so many that some will inevitably survive.

If you're not breeding livebearers then there might be a case to take the fry out but then you'll need another tank to rear them in and then find homes for them. It could end up an never-ending cycle!

Lunar Jetman said:
I used to try and look after Platy and Guupy fry but quickly learned that they bred like rabbits and will take over your tank. If it were me I'd just leave them in and let nature take it's course. They have so many that some will inevitably survive.

If you're not breeding livebearers then there might be a case to take the fry out but then you'll need another tank to rear them in and then find homes for them. It could end up an never-ending cycle!
I'm with Lunar on this one. I have a very fertile female platy (show me one that isn't!) and lots of live plants including a huge java fern on stone. The fry are expert at hiding in it until they are too big to be eaten by mama platy! It's survival of the fastest and fittest in my tank. Had 1 survivor from the 1st lot then 4 from the 2nd, 6 from the 3rd and the 4th lot due any day now. I'd need a new tank every month if I tried to save them all!

Thanks all for the advice. I believe they are silver tip tetra. I caught them spawning a few nights ago but the fry were already free swimming when I saw them about .12 hrs later. Iv managed to catch 2 so far and put them in my hatchery. Ive seen at least two more. I Wasent trying to breed any fish at all was really suprised when I found them. Just seems a shame not to try and raise a few. Even if its just for the experience.

I would ditto the Turkey baster or leave them - good luck with raising them, and well done for getting them breeding in the first place.

bigcheed said:
Thanks all for the advice. I believe they are silver tip tetra. I caught them spawning a few nights ago but the fry were already free swimming when I saw them about .12 hrs later. Iv managed to catch 2 so far and put them in my hatchery. Ive seen at least two more. I Wasent trying to breed any fish at all was really suprised when I found them. Just seems a shame not to try and raise a few. Even if its just for the experience.
As they are not livebearers I'd be more inclined to look after them. Anyone can breed Platies and Guppies so Tetras make an interesting change!

Good luck!

Lunar Jetman said:

As they are not livebearers I'd be more inclined to look after them. Anyone can breed Platies and Guppies so Tetras make an interesting change!

Good luck!

Tell me about it! They are like bloomin' rabbits without the fur and legs! lol

Most reactions

Back