Fry Not Growing

First_Fish

Reaction score
Last month our Molly gave birth. We managed to save 2 fry however one of them doesn't seem to be growing. Has anyone got any ideas why? The other is now twice the size and looks great.

Last month our Molly gave birth. We managed to save 2 fry however one of them doesn't seem to be growing. Has anyone got any ideas why? The other is now twice the size and looks great.

I have also observed poor growth in mollie fry. Perhaps the one isnt thriving is a runt and would normally have been culled by a professional breeder. However, it is obviously important to you, and I personally could never cull fry. I can only suggest extra feeds, perhaps with some frozen daphnia, artemia and bloodworm. Alternatively, buy some high protein food. If its over a month old its probably too late to give it powdered egg yolk. Do you have sources of algae/vegetables/plants for the fish to graze on? Recently, I really wanted to keep my mollie fry and the two I have had for a few months now I saved in a fry net for about 3 weeks and gave extra feeds.

Also, consider gender differences, males are much smaller than females.

What is your pH? is your water hard?

pH is around 7.5. The bigger fry is a female, the other is hard to tell. Could be a male

Tank size 64l. Feed them different foods, small frozen, flake (crushed) pellet (crushed)

For best growth, feed frequently in very small amounts and do plenty of water changes. I have seen it said that when you walk past from left to right, feed them and when you walk past right to left you do a water change. Of course this is hyperbole, but frequent feeding and clean water means rapid growth.

Most reactions

Back