Fry In Tank

badtothebone322

Reaction score
My guppy or platty just recently had 3 fry, probably more to come. I was wonering if a 10 gallon tank will be too big for the fry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

when fry are small the smaller the tank the better so daily water changes are small and so the fry can find the food easier. with a 10 gallon tank a 5 gallon water change will be needed daily to keep water at its best and to remove any uneaten food etc. also with just 3 fry they will be searching for food but if its all you have then it will be fine. just dont over feed and keep doing water changes for the fry to have the best chance possible :good:

I usually place a female into a 10 gallon for her drop. I have not seen 3 fry from a drop yet so I have no idea what to do with so few fish. Most of the drops that I see run 20 to 30 fry and they do not get lost in a 10 gallon. They fill it rather full within 4 to 6 weeks of growing.

Now she is up to 18...

Do you think that is enough to put in a 10 gallon? If so, do I need to cover the filter so none of the fry get sucked up?

A lot depends on the currents at the filter inlet BadtotheBone. I usually do not worry too much about fry being sucked up by a filter because that would require a strong current. What kind of filter do you have on the 10?

There are a total of 13 Red Wag Platy fry that are now a day old. As of right now, I don't know the filter's type. I will find out in about 30 minutes, or so. What temprature should I keep the water?

Also, how do I clean the tank? I don't want to injure any of the fry?

A temperature of around 75F, 24C, would work well for the fry. You can make them grow faster by raising the temperature a little but it is not the best way to rear healthy fry. The reason I asked about filters is that some can easily be adapted to have a filter sponge cover the inlet while others don't really give you that option.

Most reactions

Back