Frozen Food

Watersprite

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
New fish went in 125lt tank yesterday, have fed them flake and sinking pellets for the cory's. Would like to give them frozen bloodworm. It comes in small sealed cubes. Do you defrost first, if not do you put the whole cube in or do you try to cut it in half first? If you defrost first, can it be kept for a day or so if you don't use the whole cube? :rolleyes:

New fish went in 125lt tank yesterday, have fed them flake and sinking pellets for the cory's. Would like to give them frozen bloodworm. It comes in small sealed cubes. Do you defrost first, if not do you put the whole cube in or do you try to cut it in half first? If you defrost first, can it be kept for a day or so if you don't use the whole cube? :rolleyes:

Hi Watersprite,

Best bet is to get a small cup, fill it with tank water and leave for about 15 minutes to defrost. Then just pour the cup in the tank when ready.

Martin :good:

I use a small dropper (like a mini turkey baster); depending on how many fish you have, you may only need half a cube. If you do, cut one in half then put the other half straight back in the freezer. Never re-freeze one after it's thawed. Once the cube has thawed in a small cup of tank water, dip the dropper in the cup and suck as much food up as you can. Just dip the tip in the water - you'll find they'll nearly have the dropper out of your hand. The advantage of doing it this way is that the food doesn't go everywhere.

i leave my food frozen, it defrosts in a few minutes. i just put the cube in the tank and let the fish get on with eating it, any left over the cory and loach wil clean it up!

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the info, will try the various methods and see which one works best for me.
Like the idea of using a dropper and the fish taking the food!

:thanks:

Thanks vinylman, hadn't thought of that.

Don't want a riot on my hands when I try to retrieve a dropper full of bloodworms from the bottom of the tank! :lol:

i like to let them thaw then i put them on a silver platter and garnish with some mint and then display the worms to the fish before i serve them.......
that or i take a cube out let it sit for about 30 minutes or so then use a chopstick to scoop out a good ammount then i put them back in the freezer....someone already said not to put them back in the freezer after they have thawed, who knows why, but i do. I think my ways the easiest

i like to let them thaw then i put them on a silver platter and garnish with some mint and then display the worms to the fish before i serve them.......
that or i take a cube out let it sit for about 30 minutes or so then use a chopstick to scoop out a good ammount then i put them back in the freezer....someone already said not to put them back in the freezer after they have thawed, who knows why, but i do. I think my ways the easiest

For the same reason you wouldn't take meat or fish out of the freezer for yourself, let it thaw then put it back in the freezer. Just take out as much as you need.

For the same reason you wouldn't take meat or fish out of the freezer for yourself, let it thaw then put it back in the freezer. Just take out as much as you need.

I think everyone would concur with that one :nod:

Martin :good:

Most reactions

Back