Frozen Food Left Out

jossswonk

Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello, today I did a little bit of shopping and bought some frozen brine shrimp for my fish. When I got home I totally forgot to put in in the freezer until now. I'd say it's been sitting out for a few hours. Would it still be safe to feed to my fish or should I not risk it?

It depends on the condition when you put your hands on it...

When you found out, was it all melted and hot ? I would discard.

Was it still refrigerator "kind" of cold and not all melted, then, I would have no problem freezing asap and to use it after.

It was melted but it wasn't quite room temperature yet.

If it was near room temperature, I'd have doubts. But if it still felt properly cold to the touch, even if melted, then it should be okay. I had some frozen food melt on the way back from a long drive. It definitely wasn't frozen anymore, but still quite cold. I re-froze it and have been feeding it out to my fish and frogs and haven't had any issues so far.

Is there a way I can test it to for sure see if it's safe? I don't want to assume anything and accidentally kill me fish

Developing enough generations of "bad" things would require at least, many hours melted. And frozen back would still not be enough to cause problems. The Toxins developed by the the bacteria are the noxious element... Enough bacterias as to build before dangerous output occurs. frozen bacteria dies.

And this is based on human consumption food.

If you knew the time the chicken you ate yesterday was sporadically left at room temperature during the process before going in your plate...

You would probably start to eat fish food.

I don't have enough fish where they'll eat it over the next couple of days.

Most reactions

Back