Frozen food cubes

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenny32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought some frozen cubes of Red Mosquito Larvae for our fish. We only have a Dwarf Gourami and some Rasboras. Is it ok to slice the cube up and melt it in a cup of tank water, then pour the whole thing back in to the tank? Just heard that some sieve frozen foods first.

Thanks!

I just dissolve the cube in some tank water and then add it in. Make sure to only add a small amount at a time til you get an idea of how much your fish will eat so you don’t have to suck a bunch back out afterwards.

I personally cut off a small piece, put it in a glass of tank water, and let it thaw out. Then I take a pair of aquascaping tweezers, and pick up 4 or 5 at a time, to feed to the fish.

If you dump the whole thing in there, you have the risk of over feeding. Over feeding can cause high ammonia’s levels, which are toxic to fish.

I don't fully feed with frozen food, it is a treat, but on my larger tanks I just drop the frozen cube into the water. The angels rip it apart then the tetras swim around the outside and pick up the pieces. Been doing it that way since the 1970s. They get some flakes at the same time and every so often an algae wafer. Sometimes I just hold the cube in my fingers and let the fish eat it from my fingers, the only fish that will not feed that way is the BN Pleco.

Hi,

I just bought some frozen cubes of Red Mosquito Larvae for our fish. We only have a Dwarf Gourami and some Rasboras. Is it ok to slice the cube up and melt it in a cup of tank water, then pour the whole thing back in to the tank? Just heard that some sieve frozen foods first.

Thanks!
Hi, in my experience with Gouramis they can be a bit tricky as they often have parasites / diseases and genetic flaws which can make them more susceptible to illnesses and problems. This is something to think about for a couple reasons 1, over feeding them can cause bloat which Gouramis often experience and plenty of times can’t bounce back from 2, they are sensitive to water quality fluctuations which can also result in over feeding and 3, they are pigs and will eat them before they have completely thawed which can harm their digestive track. I think that cutting a chunk off and melting it in some tank water will be your best bet, dump it into the tank in small amounts overtime and you should be fine that way! That’s how I feed my tanks that get bloodworms brine shrimp etc

I don't fully feed with frozen food, it is a treat, but on my larger tanks I just drop the frozen cube into the water. The angels rip it apart then the tetras swim around the outside and pick up the pieces. Been doing it that way since the 1970s. They get some flakes at the same time and every so often an algae wafer. Sometimes I just hold the cube in my fingers and let the fish eat it from my fingers, the only fish that will not feed that way is the BN Pleco.
Obviously don't feed 100% frozen food - mix up their diet. Fish need a varied diet for a healthy life.

forbloodworms and fish with smaller mouths i grate it with a knife and just put it in the tank

Thanks I'll give this a go, I agree best to be Conservative and put less in from the start and gradually build up.
I personally cut off a small piece, put it in a glass of tank water, and let it thaw out. Then I take a pair of aquascaping tweezers, and pick up 4 or 5 at a time, to feed to the fish.

If you dump the whole thing in there, you have the risk of over feeding. Over feeding can cause high ammonia’s levels, which are toxic to fish.

Most reactions

Back