Frozen Bloodworm - Question

i have around 15 fish in one tank

20 and 10 gallon (one is jus minnows and zd)
i feed flake every day then and bloodworm treat

I defrost them for 10 minutes in a shot glass then tip them out onto some kitchen roll - to soak up all the sh*tty water - before feeding...

I put frozen blood worms or brine shrimp on a folded paper towel and let it defrost. The towel absorbs the liquid and then goes into the trash bin. Nothing to clean.

What it is reason for rinsing them?
It says on the pack i buy just to float them on the top. Dont understand about the carbon filter thing. I dont have one though.
-_-
Why rinse:

1)The bloodworms are in "dirty" water when frozen, this water has a high organic load and will a)be absorbed by carbon or B ) float on the surface of the water (I did a test with my lux meter from work, and this oil slick on the surface decreased light penetration by 15%!) If you have live plants this could be a concern.

2) When bloodworms are frozen, ice crystals form and lyse, or break open, the bloodworms' cells; if you don’t rise this waste (basicly microscopic particles of bloodworms) ends up in the tank but never will be eaten by any fish.

3) Activated carbon has a high affinity for soluble organic wastes in the water. The carbon can only absorb so much thus reducing the time it will be effective.

There will be no massive catastrophe without rinsing, but there will be less organic "wastes" going into your tank if you do rinse.

is that wot the oily coating on he surface of my tank is then

i keep a small saucer and knife in my tank stand. cut off half a square, put on saucer, leave on top of tank lid (when lights are on) 'til it melts to room temp ... then dump 'em in and watch the fun begin :S .

as for rinsing first ...... :/

I defrost a cube and feed them to the fish on the end of a toothpick, didn't know you could keep them in thefridge tho' I end up throwing most of them away - this thread could save me a fortune!

People make so much work for themselves. I hae live plants and have always just thrown in the frozen cube. Nothing wrong with my plants. You guys go ahead and cut, unthaw, put in paper towel, and on and on and I will just walk to my tank open the lid and put in the frozen cube and walk away and watch the fish eat.

so cute a square out and just put it in
NO! you need to rinse them very very well before you put them in the tank. I use a small steal strainer under warm tap water.

The carbon in you filter will be rendered ineffective much faster if you don’t rinse the bloodworms.

I dont worry about the small level of chloramine in my tap water, the slimy coating my the worms will react with, and break down, the chloramine.

ha ha listen to yoursleves
think with all the wonderful things science has brought us
they clean them gamma ray them and flash freeze them to kill all the nasty impuritys i think live ones contain more germs and stuff
in a nut shell if you want to feed all your fish with them just chuck the cube in and let them munch out if you want to feed just one i find with feeding my frog its best to put the cube in an old cup half full of your tanks water let the cube defrost in there anduse a basting stick you can get a nice one out of most cooking shops for bout a 5er

*Always* defrost your bloodworms before adding them to the tank. Putting it in frozen, even though it melts quickly. is a very bad thing to do. The fish are used to *tropical* temperatures, and the water right around the frozen cube cools down very quickly. The temperature difference when feeding could actually (though it doens't happen noticably often) give your fish a temperature shock. Which simply isn't good on their health.

The way I do it is put the cube in a cup containing a little tap water and let it de-freezing completely. Then use a small fork to fork out the bloodworms and add to the tank.

OMG! I just realised that I've been feeding the bloodworm completely incorrectly :(

I just saw the local aquarium shop owner just throw in the frozen squares so I did the same. Well, I'm so glad I joined this forum. I sure have learned a few very important things already. Thanks everyone.

ha ha listen to yoursleves
think with all the wonderful things science has brought us
they clean them gamma ray them and flash freeze them to kill all the nasty impuritys i think live ones contain more germs and stuff
in a nut shell if you want to feed all your fish with them just chuck the cube in and let them munch out if you want to feed just one i find with feeding my frog its best to put the cube in an old cup half full of your tanks water let the cube defrost in there anduse a basting stick you can get a nice one out of most cooking shops for bout a 5er

even though they kill all the impurities, there are still dirt in there(depends on which brand you buy) i have noticed that san francisco bay frozen foods are very dirty(wouldnt want to throw this in my tank without rinising it) hikari is very clean, and i wouldnt mind throwing that in my tank. when i feed my fish, all i do is put the cube in a cup with some tap water and swirl it around with a chopstick. the cube breaks up pretty fast.

oh yeah, i dont use frozen foods that often because i have live foods. imo, feeding them live foods is better and its more fun to watch.

Hi phil its tony.
all you need to do is put em in a net and rince warm water over them.
I need help.
gO ON GOLDFISH AND COLDWATER PONDS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT THEN REPLY on the topic help! its by me
my bob marly remember datorange and white gold fish in my tank.
apparantly hes a girl and its pregnant but a cat has scrached it.
go on it its by me black molly3 and reply.
tar phil.
btw im getin 2 more killie fish dis week
c ya l8ter

People make so much work for themselves. I hae live plants and have always just thrown in the frozen cube. Nothing wrong with my plants. You guys go ahead and cut, unthaw, put in paper towel, and on and on and I will just walk to my tank open the lid and put in the frozen cube and walk away and watch the fish eat.

I don't consider the options that some forum members have suggested to be "so much work" as you think. :/

Most reactions

Back