From 65 To 12 In Three Weeks.

stats are:

Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrate 3ppm
Nitrite 0ppm (lots of plants to mop this up)

Will try the stocking thing.

That's why your fry are dying.

10% every other day is obviously not enough - I believe that other fry raisers on here, even with filters, do 60%+ water changes daily, so maybe you should try a sponge filter and upping your water changes to minimum 50% daily. In the meantime, a near-as-100%-as-you-can-possibly-manage water change will bring that ammonia reading down to 0, which is where it should be anyway, but definitely should be when raising fry :) :good:

Hope that helps a bit! :)

thanks, just done a 90% one and ammonia is inbetween 1 and 0 now a bit hard to tell but not as high as it was.
nitrate is 1ppm

nitrite is still 0ppm

Sorry about all of your fry! It was probably a blessing that the deformed one died, but it is a shame about the others. definately the ammonia that killed them. Keep doing water changes every day. Do you use Prime? Might want to give that a try.

stats are:

Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrate 3ppm

10% every other day is obviously not enough - I believe that other fry raisers on here, even with filters, do 60%+ water changes daily, so maybe you should try a sponge filter and upping your water changes to minimum 50% daily. In the meantime, a near-as-100%-as-you-can-possibly-manage water change will bring that ammonia reading down to 0, which is where it should be anyway, but definitely should be when raising fry :) :good:

thanks, just done a 90% one and ammonia is inbetween 1 and 0 now a bit hard to tell but not as high as it was.
nitrate is 1ppm

nitrite is still 0ppm

No worries :) if your ammonia is definitely still not 0 then another water change would be prudent. It should read 0. Anything that is not 0 is too high for tiny baby fry.

(by that, I don't mean that above 0 is fine for adult fish, what I mean is that it's even more important than usual for the reading to be 0!)

Keep at it, you'll get there. And if not, then they are valuable lessons you can use next time you have fry :good:

stats are:

Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrate 3ppm

nitrate is 1ppm

nitrite is still 0ppm

No worries :) if your ammonia is definitely still not 0 then another water change would be prudent. It should read 0. Anything that is not 0 is too high for tiny baby fry.

(by that, I don't mean that above 0 is fine for adult fish, what I mean is that it's even more important than usual for the reading to be 0!)

Keep at it, you'll get there. And if not, then they are valuable lessons you can use next time you have fry :good:

I find it amazing that one part per million of ammonia is so toxic. did a 50% change again and ammonia is 0

have added my filter with cycled media from pond filter number 2 (used only to provide cycled media) and also with a carbon foam in it. have put a stocking over both intakes and the outlet for fry safety.

I find it amazing that one part per million of ammonia is so toxic. did a 50% change again and ammonia is 0

Really? It's a poison to them. Have you ever gotten ammonia in your lungs? It isn't a pleasant experience. Different things are poisonous to different animals. Onions and chocolate are dangerous to dogs.

Ammonia levels should always be kept below 0.25ppm (as close to zero as you can get it), because prolonged exposure to higher levels causes long term health issues and/or death.

Nitrite works the same way. It is also a poison, in the same way that carbon monoxide is a poison to humans. It deprives the animal of oxygen getting into the blood stream.

yes, i have. When i fainted 3 weeks ago they used smelling salts to wake me up again.

tested the water quality an hour ago and it is all perfect, seems the cycled media and the carbon helped lol!

Stats are:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm (this should soon go as the plants find it)

:good:

Oh just found this one! :eek:sama: and this one :kana:

LOL!

Good to see your levels are falling...

another test

Amonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

All OK.

YAY!!! :kana:

its hard to photo them as my camera isn't that good, also there arent that many in there so finding them is hard too, Will try though.

here we are,

Pic quality gets better as it goes down. The air pump is a second nature whisper 300.

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

5 of the 10 or so in there.

DSC00911.jpg

More airation than i know what to do with

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

That pipe is there to take outside air into the tank as the shed gets upto 35 degrees

DSC00916.jpg

The ventiri assembly from the filter (i took it off to release excess pressure.

DSC00917.jpg

Snail on the airator brick

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

:)

glad you got it figured out, dont worry about any nitrates u have in there, they arent an issue unless extremely high, like 100+, I have a heavily planted tank and still test 20-40 nitrates every week before water change.

that huge bubble wall seems a little overkill, couldnt it be a bit too strong for the tiny fry?

Most reactions

Back