Frogs In My Tank

savo318

Reaction score
i have two small frogs that where given me, the problem is that the only way to get them to the bloodworm they eat is to net them and drop them onto it, otherwise they never find it, is there a way to make this easier for them and me

use a turkey baster (just for them) and use it to squrit bloodworms in front of the frogs.

:good:

use a turkey baster (just for them) and use it to squrit bloodworms in front of the frogs.

I was gonna say that exact same thing... I had to do this for my betta as he was one of my most placid bettas every kept... he didnt like the commotion of feeding time and he didnt eat unless I basted it to him lol

I never had much luck with turkey basters -- it was so explosive, bloodworms everywhere, and frogs jetting across the tank.

Your problem is pretty much exactly why most frog sites recommend a species only tank. It's possible to keep them with other fish, but it's definately a challenge.

I use chopsticks to feed my African Dwarf Frogs, it's the easiest method I've found so far.

If I were you, I would check and see what sort of frog you have in that tank. If the frog is fully aquatic, there are pretty much two species that are commercially available: African Dwarf Frogs, and African Clawed Frogs. Clawed frogs eat whatever they can fit into their mouth. There are a few rather infamous pictures out there of ACFs eating goldfish, or bettas, or other pet fish. The two are easily confused when young.

The ACF gets quite large, and the ADF stays quite small.

The ACF gets quite large, and the ADF stays quite small.

yup about half to a third of an ACF IIRC. oddly, I just purchased another two ADFs today, have the 5 of them and my betta in their own tank so feeding has become alot easier.

try feeding after lights out as well. the scavaging seems easier as the fish are quite as good at finding the food if its lights out.

Ive just had to switch off my community tank lights today as well. bought some flame tetras and the danios are harassing them, grr.... ok talk about tangent... back to the point.

chucking it in. i know you are meant to give whats eatenin x minutes for these guys, but they are slow. and i mean slow.

i usually give overnight, making sure the food is in one place. all my aquatic friends are now recognising where the restuarant is and go to it for food, is getting to go faster and faster. It also means its easier to vacuum and clean up the next day as this one area is messy if something did not get eaten.

I love these frogs but to be honest they're dumb as rocks. Good luck with the advice here. Mine eats flakes and such off the bottem, seems to be doing fair.

I love these frogs but to be honest they're dumb as rocks. Good luck with the advice here. Mine eats flakes and such off the bottem, seems to be doing fair.

if there are other fish in the tank, they will be timid as youth as to rushing to the food. If they are only ones in the tank, try to drop it near them, if they are hungry they will eat it. I use to feed mine every 2-3 days apart. No need to feed them daily.

Mine's a couple of years old. He's figured out that if the cories are near what he wants, he can just nip at them and they go away. :/

Mine's a couple of years old. He's figured out that if the cories are near what he wants, he can just nip at them and they go away. :/

Diesn't seem that dumb to me. though i have to admit, watching them with head in sand and still trying to swim... I just love watching the prance around like somethin from the ballet, but much much much better.

I lso found out these guys are better off in a and tank, as they can eat gravel thinking its food when they are bigger. oh and when big enough, chuck in a frozen pea and watch them go mad after it.

I use chopsticks to feed my African Dwarf Frogs, it's the easiest method I've found so far.

If I were you, I would check and see what sort of frog you have in that tank. If the frog is fully aquatic, there are pretty much two species that are commercially available: African Dwarf Frogs, and African Clawed Frogs. Clawed frogs eat whatever they can fit into their mouth. There are a few rather infamous pictures out there of ACFs eating goldfish, or bettas, or other pet fish. The two are easily confused when young.

not that good with chopticks myself lol and my old ACF ate adult mollies but my ADF's (in a different tank) ate catfish pellets and most frozen foods including bloodworm which i put near them.

Most reactions

Back