jeef

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering what size of tank...tankmates...food...filtration...etc
needed to keep a few Freshwater stingray

I'm just curious

I might consider this in the future

what kind of ray ???? teacup ray??? they like fine sand bottom

There is actually no such fish as a teacup ray, this is just a name given by importers for small low quallity unidentified rays, usually P.hysterix. If you are considering buying a ray it is advised that you buy a larger specimin that has been in the shop for several weeks and you have witnessed it feeding.

Rays require a tank with a large footprint, a minimum of 48x24 for one with bigger being needed for 2 or more. They also require perfect water conditions at all times, nitrates must not be allowed to rise over 20ppm and the pH must be kept below 7 and stable, if your tapwater does not supply this you will need to buy a RO unit. They are known for being extremely fussy eaters and can take weeks to ween onto a good diet of frozen meaty foods, large quantities of live bloodworm can be used to keep the fish alive until they will accept other foods but will not be good for them in the long run. Like for any predatory fish large powerful external filtration is recomended, a marine style sump filter is best but 2 large canisters will do.

i saw that somewhere but i didn't know whether to believe it but now i do because i have seen a few different type of rays all called teacup

I think CFC has almost answered your query but one thing which is not right is the part about needing water conditions below a ph of 7. Rays will pretty much acclimitize to any water. My advice to you would be to purchase rays from a good store and match there water quality. Make sure you observe the rays closely for some time prior to purchasing. Always observe them feeding also. I have two large motoro rays which i have had for over a year now living in ph 7.6, and is very hard. In fact alot of people i know who keep have kept and even bred rays find they do better in harder more alkaline water. I think it has more to do with stability more than anything though.

Of course in the nature they would be in soft acidic water so if you can acheive it go for it but they really do need very stable water conditons.

They are a very rewarding fish to keep and provide hours of fasinatiion!

Tanks size for the smaller rays needs to be 4 x 2 (wide) x 15. If you are looking for motoro, leopoldi etc you really ought to be looking at a 5 x 2 x 2 minimum to start moving swiftly to a 8 x 3 x 2 eventually.

Matt :)

Most reactions

Back