Frequently Asked Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jesse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
There is a frequently asked question that I think should be added to the Frequently asked questions thing - people always ask what fish they should get for their new tank! They should know that it is their decision - but it depends on what size of tank they have! :D :p

there is some fish out there you shouldnt start off with.. in fact there some fish out there that you shouldnt put in a tank unless its matured enough

That's true! And many of the fish commonly sold to "beginners" will either outgrow their new tank, die the first week, breed like rabbits, or eat/bully the other fish. :sly: :sly:

What helped me get started, after we killed a succession of goldfish in a small tank my mother bought for my daughter, was finding a Beginner Fish FAQ on the Internet. The info is still out there -- I've seen it! It has a whole section on what kinds of fish a beginner is most likely to do well with, especially given a small tank size. I'd say it's a good idea. :nod:

neons it seems perhaps guppys maybee cribs i heard one person say not to get a red tailed shark to some poor guy who was asking about a three foot tank. how ever big the tank some people just like raining on my parade the alternative to the red tailed shark was a bumblebee catfish. i interjected with a comment that bumblebees can grow to something like 83 cm (not even mentioning the fact i thaught a red tailed shark would be relatively small in a tank that big) and then he came back with the old you dont know what your talking about you never specified a type of bumblebee. well he never specified a type of bumblebee ither then somehow i felt kinda like i was being unreasonable and i should not post on plannet catfish again.

somehow i felt kinda like i was being unreasonable and i should not post on plannet catfish again.

I've experienced similar responses on some of the other forums as well, it seems some people have no patience for us newbies questions. That's why I love this forum, no matter how many times we ask the same types of questions the answers that are recieved are friendly, helpfull and often humorous :D I'll say it again...This is the Friendliest forum on the Net!...and IMO the Best :hooray:

i kinda feel bad about mentioning plannet catfish as it was just the member that upset me not the actual forum i would not want to say the forum was bad just my experience

Most reactions

Back