freinds for a fire eel?

bloke

Reaction score
:blink: i have setup a 4ft tank which now house's a 8" fire eel can anybody recommend some suitable tank mates? i was thinking about snakeheads

I should think a species of Dwarf Snakehead should be fine, but make sure you do not get Red snakehead, Channa micropeltes! See if you can find Channa gachua, Green Snakehead, they reach 8-12". Be warned these fish are predators and will try to eat anything that they think they can fit into their mouths. I know CFC keeps one so he will be able to help to. :)

Channa gachua, Channa orientallis and Channa bleheri are the only snakeheads that i would recomend as being semi community safe, however they are still snakeheads and if they feel like it will just rip the eel to bits. A much safer option would be bichirs (Polypterus species), while these are still predators they are gennerally not as aggressive as snakeheads and will only eat fish that can fit into their mouths.

:p what other fish do you have in your tank like both have said small snakeheads and birchers would do well what about some larger fish (middle swimmers) they worked well in my tank ie: sevrums, parrots, depending on what else you have or are thinking about putting in you could have large angels (but on the angel front just be carefull like i say on what you put in there with them)
depending on what tank size you mind going to what about a arrowana these are just a few ideas hope this can be of some use

I was also considering knife fish either brown featherfin or black ghosts, but keep getting differing views on sizes?

Well Clown Knives and BGK both will get to big for a 4' tank but you could try the African Knife Xenomystus nigri and a Synodontis species would work.

Most reactions

Back