Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp

Kyle E.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got some Omega One Freeze dried brine shrimp today and was just wondering what your experiences have been with it. Do your fish like it, is it a good food and how is best to feed it? It comes in big chunks and I have small fish so I just kind of broke little bits off of a chunk and dropped it in. They seemed to like it but not super voraciously or anything.

Probably better than just feeding them my slightly stale tetra flakes as I have been doing for the past year. :/

I bought a container of FD Brine Shrimp about a year ago. Still have some left. Honestly, I wouldn't buy it again.

My fish much prefer frozen brine shrimp and go crazy over it. I dissolve a cube in a small container of tank water and feed with a pipette. I feed just as much as they will eat in 30 seconds or so as they will gobble it up. I save the rest in the fridge and feed it the next day and the day after that. You could also cut a cube in half if you don't' have a lot of fish to feed.

I bought a container of FD Brine Shrimp about a year ago. Still have some left. Honestly, I wouldn't buy it again.

My fish much prefer frozen brine shrimp and go crazy over it. I dissolve a cube in a small container of tank water and feed with a pipette. I feed just as much as they will eat in 30 seconds or so as they will gobble it up. I save the rest in the fridge and feed it the next day and the day after that. You could also cut a cube in half if you don't' have a lot of fish to feed.
That’s how I feed mine. Dissolve it on radiator atm for a few mins then turkey baste it in. WCMM tried swimming up basterwhen I sucked up tank water and had head stuck yesterday until I squirted him out. Seems ok though.

If it's freeze dried rather than frozen, I would rehydrate it in a bit of tank water for several minutes before putting it in the tank. With freeze dried blood worm, they can expand a lot when they rehydrate and if they do this inside the fish it isn't good for them. I assume that dried brine shrimp could do the same.

I have read that there is less nutritional value in freeze dried food and that they should be used more as a treat than for nutritional purposes.

Ahh hmm I see. I am definitely from now on going to rehydrate it before feeding it to them. Sounds like I probably should have gotten frozen but oh well. Thanks for your help guys!

I'm not a fan of freeze dried foods and as mentioned, if you use them, rehydrate before feeding. In addition to live foods like white worms and daphnia, I like a blend of two or three high quality commericial flake foods. I like to blend to better ensure balanced nutrition...and again, I speak of the quality foods, not loaded with grain/grain starch binder/fillers.

So what are reasons why you would use flakes over pellets and vice versa? My flakes are running out and I am wondering about trying pellets, but should I stick with flakes? I have a betta, dwarf gourami (yes in the same tank, deal with it), cherry barbs, and guppies.

I have heard that flakes can cause constipation with the betta? With the expanding in the stomach thing right? But all I could find yesterday when I looked were flakes. There were no floating pellets that weren't labeled as cichlid or goldfish pellets. I am sure they would have been too big for my fish.

I use both. Some of my fish prefer pellets and some prefer flakes. I have quite a few tanks and it seems that whatever I started out with in a particular tank is what the fish prefer. I use Omega One and New Life Spectrum. All fish are equally as healthy. :)

Thank you so much for your advice! I fed them the FD brine shrimp again today, this time rehydrating it in a cup with tank water, and they seemed to like it pretty well! I will probably get frozen next time but I think the FD will work just fine for the rest of the container.

I watched a few videos on hatching brine shrimp eggs and I really want to do that now lol. I won't be able to for a while but it looks really fun, and I like the idea of feeding my fish live foods that I know are healthy because I hatched them myself! It looks remarkably easier than I thought it would be as well. Only takes around 1 day to hatch??? Wow.

Now I want to research how to grow them bigger and maybe have them lay eggs and make more..... That might be way more than I could handle right now though lol.

Thank you so much for your advice! I fed them the FD brine shrimp again today, this time rehydrating it in a cup with tank water, and they seemed to like it pretty well! I will probably get frozen next time but I think the FD will work just fine for the rest of the container.

I watched a few videos on hatching brine shrimp eggs and I really want to do that now lol. I won't be able to for a while but it looks really fun, and I like the idea of feeding my fish live foods that I know are healthy because I hatched them myself! It looks remarkably easier than I thought it would be as well. Only takes around 1 day to hatch??? Wow.

Now I want to research how to grow them bigger and maybe have them lay eggs and make more..... That might be way more than I could handle right now though lol.
I started hatching baby brine shrimp a few months back. Like most things, it's easy once you've done it once or twice, and I think it's well worth the modest cost. All my fish loooove it, but I use it mostly for breeding pairs and fry.

At what size would I want to feed them to my fish? Would the betta and DG be able to eat enough babies to fill up, or should I grow them out a little?

Also it actually looks pretty easy to farm them as well. I did some more research and it looks like you could raise them pretty easily and then they just kinda make more babies.

So what are reasons why you would use flakes over pellets and vice versa?
I have mainly smaller fish (angels, corys, neons) and breed/grow out/sell swordtails. They all just seem to take flakes better than pellets. If you're thinking of switching, I'd suggest a small container until you see how it's received.

At what size would I want to feed them to my fish? Would the betta and DG be able to eat enough babies to fill up, or should I grow them out a little?

Also it actually looks pretty easy to farm them as well. I did some more research and it looks like you could raise them pretty easily and then they just kinda make more babies.

Baby brine shrimp are more like a snack for dwarf gouramis. If you are looking at it as a major dietary staple, I'd use adult brine shrimp.

Adult brine shrimp, IMO, are a hassle to grow out. I tried it and fed spirulena (?) to them. It was a mess and tub began smelling foul. Perhaps if you have a basement to feed them in it could work.

Most reactions

Back