Free GUPPY SHOW! Nov 5-7th, San Diego

SanDiegoFishes

Reaction score
San Diego Guppy Association Show
In Cooperation with SDTFS - November 5-7, 2004 room 101 of the Casa del Prado in Balboa Park, San Diego (by the Zoo and Reuben H. Fleet Space Center)
Do you have some guppies at home? Store bought, gift from a friend, even show quality stock? If you do, bring them on down to the First Guppy Show hosted by the San Diego Guppy Association! It is free to enter your guppies (No limits, enter as MANY as you can bring!!) and you might even win a prize!! No age limit to be in the show, kids are welcome! You do not have to be a member of either fish club to enter, so bring those guppies to the show! All you need are your guppies, and a flat sided container to show them in (Fish bowls, flat sided betta houses, etc.) You can bring in single males, 2 males together, or single females. One fish per container (or two fish in the container if you are showing a pair of matched males). No rocks, plants, backgrounds or decorations in the guppy containers, just the guppies. The show is free and open to the public on Saturday and Sunday, your guppies will get lots of attention and "oohs and ahhss! and might even win a prize or two!!
To enter your guppies, bring them in their containers to room 101 of the Casa del Prado on Friday Nov 5th (9:00 am-9:00 pm is set up and registration of entries).
The following classes will be judged if there are at least 3 entries in a particular color class. Classes with less than 3 entries will be Classes will be lumped together into AOC (Any other color).

Red

Blue

Green

Black

Half Black

Bicolor

Snakeskin

Swordtail

Females

Any Other Color (AOC)

1. Exhibitors will determine classification of entries. Assistance to determine class of entry will be available at time of entry. There will be people there to let you know what class your guppies can go in, so no worries if you aren't sure!

3. No gravel, tinted water, greens or other decorative items will be permitted.
4. SDGA and SDTFS assume no responsibility for any loss of fish.
5. Judging will be according to IFGA standards. All decisions of the judges will be final.
6. Fish cannot be removed from the bench prior to 2 PM Sunday. Fish may be removed and released to the exhibitor only by a SDGA Show Representative. We usually start taking down the tanks and show after 4PM on Sunday :)
7. Tanks and bowls must be supplied by the exhibitor. The standard small size plastic aquarium 9” long, 5 ¾” wide and 5 ¼” deep is preferred, but any other tank or bowl plastic or glass is acceptable. As long as the front is flat, it is AOK!!

ENTRIES

SINGLE ENTRIES
Single female or male. One female may be included with male entry, but only the male will be judged.

TANK ENTRIES
Two matched males. One
female may be included with entry, but only males will be judged.

(This is the Floral Building)
Balboa Park
San Diego, CA
619/267-2236

The building is easy to find. It is right next to the big fish pond, and the Reuben H. Fleet Space Museum, you can't miss it! If you would like a map with directions, please email me at [email protected] and I will email it right to you!

SCHEDULE
Friday, November 5
9:00 AM – 9:00 PM Setup and registration of entries.

Saturday, November 6

10 AM - Open to public

3:00 PM – the Guppy Show only will be closed to the public for Judging

Sunday, November 7
10 AM - Open to public
2 PM – Debenching, you may come and see what your guppies have won and take them home :)

SHOW CHAIRPERSON
Charles Pratt
2545 Ridgeway Dr. # B
National City, CA 91950
(619) 267-2236

Please Note: This is the first guppy show for both the SDGA and the SDTFS, and we are trying to coordinate both shows. We apologize in advance for any conflicts in programming or changes from this schedule.

Judging: Will be at 3:00 PM on Saturday as we will have an IFGA judge coming in just for this show. This is not at the same time as the SDTFS judging.

For More Information Contact: Charles Pratt
619) 267-2236
Email: [email protected]

or Barbara at [email protected]
SEE YOU THERE!! THIS IS GOING TO BE MAJOR FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i was in that area id so be there but im not to keen about shipping my babys out to a show, i dont rely have that many :D

GuppyDude said:
if i was in that area id so be there but im not to keen about shipping my babys out to a show, i dont rely have that many :D
Well, hopefully you find some cool fish clubs in your area and then you can show them :D I'll try to remember to take some photos!
Best, Barb

I don't 'spose you know of a nything similar up north a bit, like say, Sacramento?
I don't think they want to go quite that far, and I'd like to visit, but can't take enough time out of my scedule right now.

guppler said:
I don't 'spose you know of a nything similar up north a bit, like say, Sacramento?
I don't think they want to go quite that far, and I'd like to visit, but can't take enough time out of my scedule right now.
If memory serves me correctly, there are some fish clubs in Sacramento. I will see if I can find the info for you. Until then, try a Google Search using Fish clubs Sacramento.
Best, Barb

Here is a couple I found right away, bet you guys have more than these too :)

CAKE
Sacramento
Contact Name: Dr. Roger Brousseau
Contact Phone: 916-686-1495
Contact Email: [email protected]
Meeting Details: The first Sunday of every month at 6pm. FREE, no monthly or yearly dues.
California Association of Killifish Enthusiasts

and

The Sacramento Aquarium Society
Establish in 1952 and bringing individuals who share an interest in tropical and ornamental fishes and to promote an exchange of information among amateur aquarists.

Map to all our club events, including this weekends Guppy Show :)

SDTFS-Map.gif

How did it go? I am in SD, but unfortunately didn't see this post until Sunday night. Do you know of a good LFS in SD?

teacherspet said:
How did it go? I am in SD, but unfortunately didn't see this post until Sunday night. Do you know of a good LFS in SD?
It was fun, a ton of people came through the show. Sorry you missed it.
What area of San Diego are you in? There are several very good Tropical Fish Stores here, all depends on what you are looking for (freshwater, saltwater, rare fish, etc) Several of my all time favorites are:

Tri City Tropical Fish in San Marcos
Pet Kingdom on Sports Arena Blvd.
Fountains in La Mesa
Aquatic Warehouse in Kearney Mesa
Encinitas Tropical Fish on El Camino Real

The San Diego Fish club and The San Diego Guppy Association have an email list if you would like to get notices of upcoming events (I run it, no worries, no spam or garbage, just event notices) You can email me at [email protected] and I will add you if you want.

We also have the yearly huge fish auction coming up this Sunday, November 14th. This is the event you do not want to miss, it rocks. Here is more info, hope you can make it. Plently of advance notice this time, LOL!!
Best, Barb

Annual Tropical Fish Auction, Nov 14th, San Diego, CA
The San Diego Tropical Fish Society presents their Annual Mega Tropical Fish and supplies auction. Free to attend, bid and buy!

Sunday, November 14th, 6 PM Room 101 of the Casa del Prado in Balboa Park, San Diego (next to the San Diego Zoo, by the Rueben H. Fleet Space Theatre and the huge Koi Pond).

Hundreds of items up for auction, all brought in by club members or donated to the club by manufacturers. Rare fish, live plants, tanks, stands, equipment, lighting, filters, pumps, books, magazines, live foods, more! Any and everything is likely to show up! Proceeds go to support the Fish Club, which is a non profit organization. Free to attend and bid! Kids welcome! Please bring cash.

For more info/ or map to this event: Email [email protected] call our info line at 619-281-3474 or see our website www.sandiegotropicalfish.com You do not have to be a club member to bid and buy, come join us! It is FUN!

ok the show is over.... are we gonna get to see pics???? :thumbs: i wish i had a guppy club or a fish club for that matter that is local....

Most reactions

Back