Found a great fish store on Long Island

nashnutny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:D Found a huge pet store called Pets in New Hyde Park today. I stopped in and was simply amazed. They must have had over 100 tanks of every type of tropical and salt water fish that you could imagine. All tanks were crystal clear and super clean... not a sick fish in sight. I saw fish that I have never seen before in a pet store.

The best part was the Betta section. They had about 50 to select from and that included crown tails!! I would say about 75% of them were active and flaring at their neighbors. The best part was that each fish was in a small tank containing somewhere between 1/2 a gallon and 3/4 of a gallon of water. The bowls were clean and it was a pleasure to look them over.

To make matters even better, they actually had a tank of females!!! In fact the clerk there had a pair in a spawning tank and was trying to encourage them to spawn.

Of course, I came home with two crown tails!!

Its good to hear that many pet-stores are starting to shape up..

Also take pics!

Everybody loves Crowntails.....

Hope it stays the same in a few months...... :thumbs:

JoKeR said:

Also take pics!

i agree,most pet store r shaping up

chatterbox said:
JoKeR said:

Also take pics!

i agree,most pet store r shaping up
Once again an unacessary comment by Betta_Lova

Yes Im starting to noticed that too..

In my walmart the bettas are in cups u find at pesmart almost 5 times BIGGER!

Also my petsmart..Only sell bettas to 2 gallons or more..If they see u buying a small aquarium they wont sell u the betta..... :kana:

Is That the petstore over by seaford oysterbay expressway, With the porcipines and the two toed sloth.

:unsure: No, this place is on Jericho Turnpike in the New Hyde Park area. They also had some nice 2 gallon tanks by All-Glass which I think I'll get. It looks like a regular rect. glass tank except it's small.

Here's a photo of the pair I got at Petco after going thru just about every single betta they had.

Attachments

• petco_pair_3.jpg
    petco_pair_3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 55
:D Here's a photo of one of the crown tails that I got over at the Pets store on Jericho Turnpike.

Attachments

• pets_crown_1.jpg
    pets_crown_1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 68
:rolleyes: Personality wise, I do need to switch tank partners. The blue from Petco needs to go with the Crown Tail pictured while the laid back red needs to house with the second Crown Tail who is just as laid back.

The pictured Crown doesn't want anything to do with the bio gold food while the other crown just gobbles it as fast as he can. He does a great spitting out job!

:look: Yes, there is a divider in the tank as well as several areas in which they can hide - or be separate from each other as well as plastic plants. The Crown is new and is still at that flaring stage. The second Crown seems to be more interested in exploring the tank and eating than anything else. The Petco pair has settled down nicely with an occasional flare up but nothing more than that. They tend to ignore each other and explore their tank. That photo was taken when they were first put in the tank. They are little pigs thou. They sure can eat and poop!! All fish seem to be healthy and very active.

I am also in the process of getting two new 2 gallon tanks which will be divided but with a non see thru divider. I will set those up about two days before the next tank cleaning and switch them at that time. They will then rotate tanks after each cleaning.

Later in the Fall they will be rotated into larger tanks and prepared for spawning when I can find appropriate females. The multi colored Crown and the Petco Blue one will both make good candidates.

Most reactions

Back