Fluval U2 Poly/carbon Pad

robinreliant23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Bought a Fluval U2 which comes with integrated poly/carbon pad. I ripped off the carbon bits as don't want to run carbon in my tank (only to get rid of meds) however, when I want to replace the poly part it appears I have to buy the poly/carbon pad refill :unsure: Does anyone know if there is something else I can put it for the poly part that doesnt have the carbon? I don't want to have be paying their prices and be ripping off the carbon part each time.

Those pads can last an age, I'm still using the same set that came with my second hand U4 last year, by giving them a good rinse in the removed tank water every week or two. With the pads being old, the carbon section losses its toxin removing properties (as most carbon does in the hobby after a few days), just leaving it to act as another layer of filtration and another surface for good bacteria to live in.

wow the poly pad can last for that long! that's ace :good: as for the carbon side, i thought if left in the tank it will start leaking out the toxins it had absorbed? well ripped mine off anyways but at least i don't have to worry about changing the poly pad for quite a while yet :nod:

wow the poly pad can last for that long! that's ace :good: as for the carbon side, i thought if left in the tank it will start leaking out the toxins it had absorbed? well ripped mine off anyways but at least i don't have to worry about changing the poly pad for quite a while yet :nod:

Bit of myth that carbon leaks back into a tank in sence, i belive for it to occur you need a huge ph swing one that we dont in a home tank (like from 8 down to 3 or something silly i belive i was reading)

Most reactions

Back