Fluval Surface Skimmer?

dave_oddballs

ray and oddball keeper !!
Reaction score
well im wanting a fluval surface skimmer for my aquarium, or a similar contraption, but it will have to fit either a fluval fx5 or a eheim pro3 2080.
i find them on the net but everywhere that is uk based says they don't sell them any more and i don't really want to order one from abroad.
i want to buy one of these, not make one, so i just want to know if anyone knows where they are sold please.

Cheers, Dave

What about http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/eheim-intakes-outlets-spray-bars-etc.asp#product258

same concept - and should work with eheim and probably also with fluval after slight modifications

Fluval skimmer has also bottom strainer if im correct. At least all far east copies sold on ebay have it.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=surface+skimmer&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmd=2&_odkw=surface+skimmer&_osacat=0

without bottom intake it would be hard to maintain steady flow needed to keep filter running properly as surface intake alone wouldnt be enough.

Attachments

• skimmer.JPG
    skimmer.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 389
yeah i think im going to have to have another look at them, just going to the lfs too so i will see if he knows of anything.
it would probably have to fit the eheim 16mm pipe, on the tank now i have 2 eheim pro3 2080's and a fluval fx5 all running, i have another 2080 coming at the end of this month or some time on march so preferably it will fit to that.
it should be easier to fit one to the eheim with its 16mm hose rather than the fx5 with its 1" hose anyway.
i am having second thoughts about making one, i just wanted something that looked ok as opposed to bodged up in the corner of my tank.
but eheim have the solid pipes that go over the tank, and i have a couple of them knocking about spare so if i put one over the tank then with a length of pipe put the other one upside down so the inlet is now facing the surface, and make a strainer to reach the surface?

i would only really want to do this if i couldn't find anything else at all i could do, so will look around first!!

that one has a strainer on the bottom aswel so not all the water will be going from the surface, i need one which is purely a surface skimmer.
cheers though!

would that not need another filter. or, rather, one filter dedicated to the job? adding two inlets to one cannister, opens a whole world of pain.

what about overflow box?
http://www.swallowaquatics.co.uk/detail.aspx?id=407&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

that should solve surface only intake - tho its bit on expensive side :/ but match requirements of surface skimming.

Personaly i would try that eheim surface skimmer from first link connected to one of 2080's if that wouldnt be enough then probably only option would be weir or overflow box

that overflow box wouldn't fit on i looked at them before a different make but same idea.
on my tank its 7 foot with brace's the full length, the only access for pipes is in either of the back corners where there is a triangle shaped access hole about 5" across.
the eheim 2080's already have 2 inlets each and 1 outlet each so having two inlets is good!
what i am saying is in which ever form this skimmer comes in, the whole thing will have to be in the tank and only the inlet pipe exiting the tank, as thats all there is room for. i will probably have to try one of the eheim ones as thats the best bet for fit, seems a bit steep in price for what it is though!
i have a month to sort it out before the 4th filter comes(3rd 2080!) so will have plenty of time to plan, just wanted to gather ideas!

cheers, Dave

the eheim 2080's already have 2 inlets each and 1 outlet each so having two inlets is good!
what i am saying is in which ever form this skimmer comes in, the whole thing will have to be in the tank and only the inlet pipe exiting the tank, as thats all there is room for. i will probably have to try one of the eheim ones as thats the best bet for fit, seems a bit steep in price for what it is though!
i have a month to sort it out before the 4th filter comes(3rd 2080!) so will have plenty of time to plan, just wanted to gather ideas!

cheers, Dave

yes, they have two inlet pipes. bit only one inlet venturi. and, as a surface skimmer, it would be taking in air too. ( that's looking at a dedicated filter or pipe, on a 2080)

even so, using the Eheim product. i have heard that a t connector helps quiet down the skimmer. (one side connects to the skimmer, the other just lets into the tank.)

you lost me there!

it wouldn't take in air, i would set it lower so it would only take in water, i do see what your saying as it would normally create a whirl pool type of effect and suck down air in the centre, but if i lower it enough, bit by bit, it will purely take in water aswel as sucking in debris from the surface

Most reactions

Back