Fluval Spec For Betta?

tropicalfish311

Reaction score
Hey I have a betta in a one gallon tank an I am thinking about getting the Fluval SPEC for him. Do you think this a good tank for him or should I get a different tank.

I know some may disagree, but IMHO bettas need 5 gal minimum, whereas the spec is about 2 gal isn't it? When my betta got his tank upgraded from 4 gallons to 7.4 gallons (15L to 28L), he became so much more active and definitely seems far happier.

If I were you, I'd get a standard 5-10 gallon from your local pet store or supermarket if they sell them. Get some gravel, silk plants, a small filter, a heater and you'll good to go once the tank has cycled. A light would be beneficial but not absolutely essential. If you didn't want live plants, even a desk lamp might be OK if the tank didn't come with a light fitting.

The lowest price I've seen for a spec is £30/$47. You'd probably be able to get a full 5-10 gallon kit inc decor for that price or less. Try going to one of those '$1-per-gallon' sales at petsmart/petco if you're in the US.

I would say the spec is only good for shrimp. Someone on here has one all planted out and it looks pretty good.

It's fine. The Spec is such a nice tank too, though the TMC microhabitat which is a little bigger and has better lighting is a nicer tank in my opinion.

I was looking at the TMCs today. The 30l marine is a very tidy setup indeed. Shame they are so expensive :(

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/tmc-aquagro-micro-habitat-nano-aquarium-p-3491.html

I have a spec its a new setup. Its fine. The only problem I think is the power filter tube is too strong.

IMO the spec is a bit small & the filter it comes with, the flow is to strong for a Betta, so would need some modification
Would be ok as a temporary home

there is an option to turn the filter power down on the motor block

From what i read a 2gallon should be considered the monimal. of course the bigger the better. 2gallons is fine for a single betta. Mines is doing fine in a Fluval Spec.

Are you not worried about it jumping out or have you covered the hole in the lid, that would worry me.
Was going to sell my spec as thought it was too small for much

No I'm not bc the hole is not that big even if it did, he wouldn't get far as I am right in the room always with him.

The hole in the lid of mine is plenty big enough for a Betta to jump through, & you can't watch him 24/7
I'd worry, maybe yours has a different lid from mine?

My Betta has started making all these bubbles (looks like flem) on the side of the tank LOL. Maybe he is trying to tell me he wants a female companionship. Just an update..
I haven't had a chance yet to use a different cleaning method but will do this evening. What types of things do you guys feed your fish because mines won't eat flakes or algae waffers. He is on a diet of dry bloodworms atm but i noticed his belly is getting large LOL.

THKS!

Most reactions

Back