Fluval Or Tetratec External Filter

gowing238

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello.

I have a 250 litre freshwater tropical community tank. Am currently running an internal sponge filter. I am upgrading to an external canister filter asap. Its between the tetratec ex1200 which is £69 (ebay) ot the fluval 305 which is £64.95 (Aquatics warehouse. Just wondered if anyone has used them and which one would be most recommended!

Have read the external filter thread and its swayed me towards the tetratec. Just going for a wider spectrum of views!

Cheeers all!
:good:

the tetratec gets my vote and i think most people will agree with me.

Also i have used both the EX1200 and the 305 and the EX1200 wins hands down.

If they are the only 2 choices then yeah the tetratec. Fluvals feel really cheaply built (especially the priming mechanism) and are too gimicky (silly media arrangement, with a massive unused space and stupid corrugated 'anti kink' pipes).

Allow me another choice though and I will say JBL CristalProfi every time, built like tanks (or at least seem to be), pretty much silent and a nice 4 year manufacturers warranty. Sort of like Eheims for those who don't want to pay through the nose, especially with the new self priming e range.

Ade

Likewise. I ran Fluval before getting my tetratec, and I won't be going back. The tetras are easy to use, but the Fluvals are stubborn s*#!

Tetratec have no long-term reliability record as they have only been on the market 3years, and Fluvals record is poor, with only a few making it past more than a few years after warrenty :crazy: ...

Take your pic

Rabbut

Likewise. I ran Fluval before getting my tetratec, and I won't be going back. The tetras are easy to use, but the Fluvals are stubborn s*#!

Tetratec have no long-term reliability record as they have only been on the market 3years, and Fluvals record is poor, with only a few making it past more than a few years after warrenty :crazy: ...

Take your pic

Rabbut

I had a 104 once, it barely made it past 1 year and had the original 'clogs every 5 minutes' aquastop valves. I have a 205 on my Axlotl tank (was a swap at my LFS for an even worst filter they had sold me, a Sicce Genio1) and frankly I hate it. They do however do a good job of keeping their flow rates high, mainly because there is hardly anywhere to put any media in them probably.... lol

As to tetratecs, they seem nice units, but I am reserving my judgement for when people have been running them for longer. There have already been some reports of manufacturing defects on them but word is that TetraTec has rectified these. I had a tetratec heater once and it didn't work for long. lol

Eheims - lovely filters, but overpriced when you consider you can buy filters made by other brands that are pretty much identical and just as good. The latest filters though are way to gimicky, I mean who really needs electronic flow control etc? lol They used to be the absolute best, but these days their new features just seem to be new gimicks rather than real innovations. What next, a USB interface for logging filter activity? ;)

Hydor Prime filter - Showing their age (been kind so sticking to that).

JBL CristalProfi - the old range are a bit simple (no self priming) but are really well built and come really well equiped with media etc, they also have really high volumes, they also come with a 4 year manufacturer warranty based on the fact that JBL are confident they wont go south in 4 years of use lol. The new e range though looks gorgeous, with all mod cons like self priming etc, and higher flow rates than the older range. JBL customer service is excellent as well, I emailed them to point out that they needed to change their website description of the old cristalprofi filters as they no longer come with the plastic lily pipe and they sent me one of their last plastic lily pipes for my trouble at no cost to me. JBL also seem to try to give use what we want. We used to want large volume filters with lower flow rates for planted tanks so we got these, now we want higher flow rates as well so they have upped the flow rates... I don't know, but it seems like JBL actually seem to care about the opinions of their customers.

A little off topic I know, but heh.

Ade

I had a 104 once, it barely made it past 1 year and had the original 'clogs every 5 minutes' aquastop valves. I have a 205 on my Axlotl tank (was a swap at my LFS for an even worst filter they had sold me, a Sicce Genio1) and frankly I hate it.

I have the opposit issue. Mine cloggs within 2 weeks and suffers extream chaneling, even with with ceramic media in the bottom and top baskets to spread flow out (in theory)....

They do however do a good job of keeping their flow rates high, mainly because there is hardly anywhere to put any media in them probably.... lol

Dissagree on flow rates, but media capasity is hardly envionable, thus agree with the latter part :good:

As to tetratecs, they seem nice units, but I am reserving my judgement for when people have been running them for longer. There have already been some reports of manufacturing defects on them but word is that TetraTec has rectified these. I had a tetratec heater once and it didn't work for long. lol

Aye, there were faults with the taps when they first came out, but Tetratec fixed the issue and replaced all faulty parts FOC. I fine Tetratec and Visitherm heaters to be the only heaters to last for me. I am trialing a Hydor, but I've only had it about a month.....Mind it's outlasted the Superfish and Hagen heaters so far...

Eheims - lovely filters, but overpriced when you consider you can buy filters made by other brands that are pretty much identical and just as good. The latest filters though are way to gimicky, I mean who really needs electronic flow control etc? lol They used to be the absolute best, but these days their new features just seem to be new gimicks rather than real innovations. What next, a USB interface for logging filter activity? ;)

I dissagree. My two Eheims were almost as bad as the Fluval for reliability, but apparently this makes me special :shifty: Agree that electronic flow control isn't needed realy, and Eheim seem to forget that they aren't an electronics company....They build theie reputation on their pumps. Is cramming in electronics realy going to do them any good, particularly if they start to become un-reliable -_- That said, I can see a use for USB interfases for logging filter activity :nod:
Seriously, it would help to predict when the next clean is due. Wouldn't pay extra for the priverlage though :no: ...

JBL CristalProfi - the old range are a bit simple (no self priming) but are really well built and come really well equiped with media etc, they also have really high volumes, they also come with a 4 year manufacturer warranty based on the fact that JBL are confident they wont go south in 4 years of use lol. The new e range though looks gorgeous, with all mod cons like self priming etc, and higher flow rates than the older range. JBL customer service is excellent as well, I emailed them to point out that they needed to change their website description of the old cristalprofi filters as they no longer come with the plastic lily pipe and they sent me one of their last plastic lily pipes for my trouble at no cost to me. JBL also seem to try to give use what we want. We used to want large volume filters with lower flow rates for planted tanks so we got these, now we want higher flow rates as well so they have upped the flow rates... I don't know, but it seems like JBL actually seem to care about the opinions of their customers.

I'm going to reserve judgement on JBL untill more people here in the UK use them, for the same reason that you are reserving judgement on Tetrates. To me ATM they are the unknown brand that I'd rather watch and miss out on for a while, than to use one and find it to be a lemmon.

Sorry about the off-topic-ness

All the best
Rabbut

your tank is up and running already

so their is no rush to get a filter

i would save the extra cash and buy a eheim

best to buy a filter that is top grade rather than save a few pennys

the filter is the kidney of your tank dont cut costs

best to buy a filter that is top grade rather than save a few pennys

the filter is the kidney of your tank dont cut costs

I agree totally, but lets not forget that Eheim aren't 100% bullet proof :nod: That said, no make is :good: Think of Eheim as a Ferrari car. Condidered by many to be the best, but often over-priced in some peoples opinion due to their reputation, and they do still have issues from time-to-time. With Eheim, it's the Ecco filters priming handle. With the Ferrari F1 car it's the exhaust manifold, as shown by Rikonens car in todays grand prix and CFC with the priming handle, and issues with the impeller, again on Ecco's, with me..... :no:

The Pro2 line is supposed to be best with Eheim. Pro3 are cramed with "gimics" such as electronic flow control. Lets not forget that Eheim aren't an electronics company, so these parts are either a new section of the company, or more likely bought in from contractors, thus they may not be up-to-usual-standord... Another thing to go wrong IMO

I'd prefur to go with a company that has been seen to fix issues with the filters, rather than a company whom hasen't. Coinsidentaly a mate of mine is having issues similar to CFC's with an Eheim Ecco filter.... Tetratec had an issue with the valves and fixed it. Rena had an issue with the origional impeller on the XP3, they also fixed it.... Why haven't Eheim goten onto the priming handle issue...I'm not seeing any changes to the impeller or impeller shaft either :sly: I'm sure CFC and my mate won't be the only one experiencing issues with priming handles, though in all fairness I don't know of anyone else with impeller issues on the Eccos...

All the best
Rabbut

i wouuldnt waste my money on a eheim aquaball or ecco again they are budget filters aimed at the cheaper market

you cant go far wrong with any of the pro models

the newer pro3e are new but i cant see eheim putting a filter on the market they havent tested well enought to put the PRO tag on

if you want budget you are looking at the right filters with tetratec and fluval

lets face it if you save a little bit more cash you can get the best filter on the market i know what i would do :nod:

Fluval 05 series. Budget, sort-of, good, no :good:

Tetratec, budget, yes, good, yes

Eheim, T1KARMANN is an avid Eheim supporter and is bound to say they are the best. I and a few others dissagree.

Eheim, budget, deffinately not, good, some modles are apparently but others are absolute lemmons :good:

All the best
Rabbut

I agree totally, but lets not forget that Eheim aren't 100% bullet proof :nod: That said, no make is :good: Think of Eheim as a Ferrari car. Condidered by many to be the best, but often over-priced in some peoples opinion due to their reputation, and they do still have issues from time-to-time. With Eheim, it's the Ecco filters priming handle. With the Ferrari F1 car it's the exhaust manifold, as shown by Rikonens car in todays grand prix and CFC with the priming handle, and issues with the impeller, again on Ecco's, with me..... :no:

bah.... don't talk like that, you'll put me off Eheims with that comparison

(watch out for us on the telly at the Hungarian grand prix...... we'll be in red and silver with a big MacLaren flag ;) :D

Off I go again off topic, but the only Eheim I would touch with a bargepole would be one in the Pro2 range. But then look at it again, you can get another german brand, with the exact same features, very high build quality, made by a manufacturer so confident in their filter they are willing to guarantee it for 4 years, for a fraction of the price? Why the heck would I 'save my money' to buy a filter identical to a cheaper one, just because it has Eheim written on it?

And no, I don't do designer lables either.

When the Eheim classics (especially the bucket ones) first came out they were the absolute best. When Eheim Pro and Pro 2 came out they were the very best. Time has moved on since then however, and now they are just a more expensive brand riding the wave of their past success and reputation. If I wanted to spend more than £100 on a filter I would buy either a JBL e1500 or a Fluval FX5 and get some bang for my buck.

Ade

I kind of like the eheim ProI line. Extremely solid and silent and no extras to break, really simple and easy access to media. Finding them was a little hard here in usa, I don't know what that would be like in uk. I didn't find them that expensive, seemed similar to the other cannisters I was looking at - sound was a priority for me, so eheim's emphasis on extreme quiet (which has held up in practice) was important to me. A couple of ProI model 2224 cannisters would probably tweek just right a bit over the 5x turnover number for the 250L tank in question, allowing alternating cleanings and redundant backup.

~~waterdrop~~

Tetratec. EVERYTHING you'll need is included. I've got three left hands, but had it out of the box and running in ten minutes.

Most reactions

Back