Fluval Hood Not Working

elspudo247

Reaction score
I have a Fluval 2000 which has 2 bulbs in the hood but as of Friday it wont come on. I've checked the fuse and its not that - tried replacing bulbs and its not that. Each bulb has a separate starting motor so they cant have both gone together, can they?
Any ideas will be really appriciated - my boys have been in the dark for 3 days! please help!!
Thanks Amy

Guess your "bulbs" are flourescent tubes ? If so...

Do the starters flash ? (old type only - new ones are electronic !)
Do the tube ends glow ? (if not, then suspect the starters)
Is there more than one fuse ? ie is there one in the hood, as well as the plug ?
Tried a different socket for the plug ?

Not familiar with your brand, but it sounds like the lamps are on 2 seperate circuits... if so, then its going to be something common to both - such as a fuse or switch etc, and not the tubes or starters...

Hopefully someone with your model can help.

Is there more than one fuse ? ie is there one in the hood, as well as the plug ?

Thanks for your reply.

The starters aren't flashing now, it did used to flash a few times before turning on properly but its doing absolutely nothing now. Neither bulb is flashing or glowing - there's no clicking coming from the starters even. im going to go check for another fuse in the hood - i hadn't thought of that.

If it is the starters, is it strange they both went together?? and anyone know roughly how much they are to buy? would i get them from the fish shop or a hardware store?

Thanks
Amy

Thanks for your reply.

The starters aren't flashing now, it did used to flash a few times before turning on properly but its doing absolutely nothing now. Neither bulb is flashing or glowing - there's no clicking coming from the starters even. im going to go check for another fuse in the hood - i hadn't thought of that.

If it is the starters, is it strange they both went together?? and anyone know roughly how much they are to buy? would i get them from the fish shop or a hardware store?

Thanks
Amy

If there are 2 starters, theres likely to be two sets of control gear - hence YES I agree, it would be unusual for both to pop at once.
Do you have any flourescent fitting aroung the house where you could "borrow" a starter - just to prove a point.

The bog standard "el cheapo" ones are about 50p from any hardware store.... probably a fiver from the local fish shop ! lol

If there was a power surge for whatever reason, it is possible that bost statres have failed, but I agress with Rooster that this is unlikely to be the case :nod: How old is the wireing in your house?

While yo check over the hood, see if there is a VDU (usualy white cylinder) anywhere. If so, pull it out. Try starting the unit again without it. If the tubes come on without it in, the starters have failed. If the tubes don't come on, try replacing the VDU with a new one. These should be changed with the tubes in the starters that have them, at the same time as the tubes. Again, it is unlikely that both have failed without something exturnally influencing them. Do the fuses in the plug work on other appiences? Changeing the fuse won't work if there is a fault, as the new fuse will blow a few moments after current is applied...

All the best
Rabbut

Mebe the wrong initials. You know the white cylinder that most Magnetic balasts (or was it electronic :unsure: ) have, that somehow give the tube the kick start. I'm not 100% on how the electronics of that work, but that part wears over time and needs replacing.. :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Its just called a "starter" the older types use a neon lamp that lights up - allowing current through the heaters in the main lamp, this ionises the gas - in turn allowing current to flow through the main lamp, et voila its lit ! This path allows a much larger current to flow "robbing" the starters neon of its voltage, so it goes out.
Now if the main lamp is low on gas, it may well fail to hold its conductive state, and the whole process repeats until the main lamp remains lit, or the starter burns out !

Electronic starters allow more current through the main lamps heaters - for longer, ensuring a more reliable "start" this is why they flicker less at startup.

Electronic ballasts just whack a high voltage through the main lamp, negating the need for a starter...

Thanks guys for all your advice. Im in work right now but soon as I get home I'll try everything suggested and let you know how i got on - We did have a power surge the other night but that was after I noticed the light wasnt working...I'm wondering if we maybe had another one earlier during the day when I was working...

Anyway, I'll get back to work before i get found on internet! and thankyou all, I'll keep you posted!

Amy

Sorted! Its fixed, I can see the boys again!

Turns out it was just the switch - you know the flick on flick off switch on the main wire. I've had mine on a timer for so long and havn't touched that switch for years. Anyway my partner just cut that switch out, re-attatched the wires, and voila it works!

To be honest though the tank looks great after a week with no light - all the little bits of algea have gone, the waters crystal clear and fish look great. Silver Dollars arnt too happy at the mo...they get a bit skittish when the light first comes on. But they'll be out their hiding place soon and they'l be following me around again begging for food!

Thankyou again for all your help! good to know i've got you guys to turn to!

Most reactions

Back