Fluval Filter Media

newtothis26

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have an external 205 fluval filter and its time to chang my sponge media now it has 4 in there and i have bought 4 to replace now do i replace them all at the same time or do i change 2 leave a week then change the other two i have no idea what to do any ideas people would help alot thanks

unless they are falling apart there is no need to change them. just give them a swill in tank water to remove any trapped dirt etc. sponges should last a lifetime dont listen to what fluval say they just want your cash... :angry:

why do u need to change them? if there only dirty give them a wash in tank water, do 1 every week. u only need to change them if there in absolute rag state :)

how longs the media been in there are the sponges falling apart?
is the filter still working properly ?
never change all the sponges at once change them 1 at a time leaving 3-4 weeks between each change before changing the next sponge

if you change them all at once your tank will be un cycled and your fish will die

if your only reason for changing the sponges is because there dirty then dont change them just rinse them in tank water as stated otherwise your just removing all the good bacteria that eats the ammonia and nitrite

give the old ones a squeeze in a bucket of tank water and they will be fine. they will never stay white or whatever colour they are but changing them because they are dirty is not a sensible thing to do if they can be cleaned......
if you change 1 and leave 3-4 weeks in between each sponge change by the time you have changed them all the first one changed will be dirty and probably in the same condition as the current sponges......
unless they are so old that they are falling apart there is no need to change them just swill or gently squeeze then in old tank water and they will last ages. otherwise you will spend a small fortune on sponges and fluval will be rubbing their hands together :crazy:

When I got my tank and filter second hand the filter sponges were really dirty and I too had this compulsion to just go out and by replacements but after reading a few threads here I just gave them a clean and as others here have said if the sponges aren't ripped and provided they cover the area they are intended to cover then there's no need to replace them.

Agree with what has already been said.

Unless the sponges are literally falling apart then dont replace any of them, sponge media lasts years before it eventually needs replacing.

Just give them a swill and gentle squeeze out in old tank water to get rid of large waste and pop them back in the filter. Dont change them just because they look dirty, they will always look like that and if you put new ones in then they will look dirty within a week anyway lol.

Andy

Most reactions

Back