Fluval 406 Making Weird Noise...

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased my Fluval 406 external filter for my new tank, all good expect it's making quite an uncomfortable rattling noise, I've checked all compartments to make sure nothing was loose, nothing is leaning against the unit to make that noise and I've even tried putting a towel under it to see if that would help. It was running virtually silent for 10 minutes when I turned it on then that noise started and it hasn't gone away (I thought it may have gone over time), it's now getting to the point where it's frustrating me when trying to sleep as it's in my room.

I've emailed the store I purchased it from, hopefully they can do something.

I've uploaded an audio clip to soundcloud and the link is listed below for you to have a listen (turn the volume up a bit it's a bit soft, recorded off my iPhone), any advice would be appreciated or if anyone else has had this issue, what did you do? :) thanks!

Filter Noise Link

Try giving it a gentle shake side to side whilst it is running... i had this problem with my 205 a while back, it seemed that there was a little air trapped inside and the shaking dispersed it.
Failing that, try taking the impeller apart, just in case there is something trapped inside it.

Terry.

Try giving it a gentle shake side to side whilst it is running... i had this problem with my 205 a while back, it seemed that there was a little air trapped inside and the shaking dispersed it.
Failing that, try taking the impeller apart, just in case there is something trapped inside it.

Terry.

Thanks for that, with the impeller, do I actually remove the little spinning bit inside? I dont want to break it haha

As said above I get this with my ehiems sometimes ( very rarely mainly when I clean the filters) try turning your filter off for 1 min let the air rise then back on again as this should release the air and is your filter intake pipe near your bubble stone or near any bubbles as this can cause this issue aswell as its sucking up bubbles

As said above I get this with my ehiems sometimes ( very rarely mainly when I clean the filters) try turning your filter off for 1 min let the air rise then back on again as this should release the air and is your filter intake pipe near your bubble stone or near any bubbles as this can cause this issue aswell as its sucking up bubbles

I'll give that a try too, thanks :)

If that doesn't work, check that the impeller shaft is sitting inside the rubber end caps securely.

Most reactions

Back