Fluval 304

shrimply

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ahhh, my fluval 304 has just broken, more than usual.

Not only is it noisy, and gets water everywhere whenever you do anything with it but I was just trying to get into it and the handle on the "aquastop" system broke off. I can't get the ***** thing to release at all now, so I have no idea how I'm even going to bin it without getting water all over the carpet.

I just don't know what to do, I'm sure you can buy a replacement part (funny how Hagen feel the need to sell spares for every part of their filters). But I resent giving Hagen another penny of my money, its all ready had everything else replaced. And as I say its a piece of junk even when it is running. It really has driven me up the wall these last couple of years.

The thing is I've been doing up the tank, its to be planted so the external filter is vital, and have spent £250. I just don't have £100 for a new filter.

For just now, I've just plugged it back in and it is water tight and running, but what good is a filter that you can't clean. :-( :/

Swallow hard, and buy another filter.... you could pursue this under the "not fit for purpose" laws, but in the end is £50 worth the hassle ?

Thanks Rooster, I know that in the end I will have to buy a new filter.

But if you can reccommend one as powerful/ more powerful for £50 then I'd be happy lol.

Can't find anything for much below £100 right now.

Eheim classic starts for less than £50... Although this figure was "arbitrary" as you need to spend money to get the Fluval running :blush:

Theres a LOT of bunkum spouted about "filters" when all said and done, its ONLY a watertight box + a pump ! Its seems the "water tight" bit is where yours is falling down !

If funds are tight, how about an internal as a stop-gap ? although these aint cheap ! and woefully short on media.

Which bit have you broken ? I have a 204 scattered about the house (it was given to me ! LOL) you are welcome to any of it !

Thanks

Funds are tight, but I hate to buy cheap substitutes because it always comes back to get you, if you know what I mean.

I had considered one of the cheap SunSun filters from All Pond Solutions, £45 for 1000lph but am thinking about paying for the tetratec Ex2400 (£119) and that would mean I could also remove the internal filter. Its all a case of finding the money and also confirming it will sit inside my unit. I would love to spend the moeny on an eheim but I've heard good things about tetratecs and they are so much cheaper.

The part that broke, causing me to write this post was the handle on the aquastop system, the bit you use to remove the tubes from the unit and supposedly shut of the water.

Cheers

edit - tetratec definitely won't fit, back to drawing board.

Well I think I'm going to go with a Eheim classic 2217, It'll set me back about £80 but I love my 2213 and its got to be better than the fluval. And if I ever feel the need to remove the internal filter I can buy a second external filter at a later date.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad decision speak now :rolleyes:

Fluval = Rubbish.

I will never buy another Fluval cannister filter ever again. I've had problems with them over the past and I'm sick of it. Sorry to hear about you're borken filter.

It's going to be a high tech planted tank. Its 240l, and should have a turn over of about 10x or so I'm told by the planted tank experts.

At the minute its running the 304 plus a fluval 4 internal. So that's 2000 lph and should be enough I hope.

So the 2217 would be the needed size if I went with an eheim classic.

The Tetratec EX1200 would have the same performance as a properly working, just cleaned Fluval 304, but with greatly improved reliability and ease of use. Eheim Classics are about as easy to use as Fluvals after the priming handles gone (though less prone to impeller jams and air-locks on starting that their Fluval counterparts) but are virtually bomb-proof as long as well cared for.

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks, I looked at the Tetratec ex1200, but my cabinet must be ridiculously small or something as measurements online suggested it wouldn't fit either.

I've just ordered the eheim 2217+, for £78. As I say I've got a eheim 2213 and can't fault it. I have no issue with the priming and if the 2217 is the same I'll be very happy with it. And I hope that it will be a LOT easier to use than the fluval :angry: as its been a nightmare to do anything with lately.

I shall update once it arrives, hopefully it was a wise purchase.

Most reactions

Back