Floss vs. Batting to replace cartridge; order of stuffing

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm going to get rid of my carbon cartridge and was asking for help with my filter yesterday. Some people mentioned floss, some batting. Which is better? Also have two opinions about course sponge and floss/batting locations... sponge on the bottom and floss on the bottom. It's possible I DID get a sponge with my tank... if so it may hAVE to be in the bottom (I haven't rinsed it since January if there IS one... that's job number 1!) I just have to discover when i get back to my apartment next week. I'll be putting rings on top. But someone said having the floss on the bottom would collect more gunk and then the sponge used just for bacteria collection. Thoughts? :) I appreciate it! I want to order things today.

Here is my thought. Batting or floss on top. You want the coarser filter first to block the large particles which would quickly clog the finer floss/batting impeding water flow. I find that if there is bio-rings on top of the batting, when the batting begins to become clogged with finer particulates you will see the rings being pushed up and it is time for a change. Batting is dirt cheap as opposed to aquarium floss and easy to replace with little mess. I do not recommend the loose poly stuffing as it will get all over the place.

Here is my thought. Batting or floss on top. You want the coarser filter first to block the large particles which would quickly clog the finer floss/batting impeding water flow. I find that if there is bio-rings on top of the batting, when the batting begins to become clogged with finer particulates you will see the rings being pushed up and it is time for a change. Batting is dirt cheap as opposed to aquarium floss and easy to replace with little mess. I do not recommend the loose poly stuffing as it will get all over the place.
That all makes sense. Thanks!

I may have mentioned this before, but the reason you want the bio-rings last is because their only purpose is to house bacteria, they have fine pores that are difficult to clean, and you want them to easily pass water through them. Therefore you want the cleanest water to pass through them.

I may have mentioned this before, but the reason you want the bio-rings last is because their only purpose is to house bacteria, they have fine pores that are difficult to clean, and you want them to easily pass water through them. Therefore you want the cleanest water to pass through them.
Makes sense. Totally. For the batting would this work? Almost all of it on Amazon is 18+ (and I need to use my Amazon card. Just had to take my dog to the vet this morning and I'm essentially in the red. Parents are having to pay for really expensive eye drops even. Totally unexpected).

My batting picks up things the sponge misses, I notice (subjectively) clearer water, especially looking lengthwise. Might not matter much for a nano tank though.

Is there something specific to look for in the batting? I want to get the best for the price...
I just looked at price. Obviously you don't want anything other than pure poly-fiber, no additives, but I think they are all like that.

Most reactions

Back