Flame Angel

Uriel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I been looking round at possible stocking options for my reef tank. I really love the Flame Angel fish but have heard they are coral nippers. Does this nipping do massive damage to corals or does it just slow the growth ? I know some of them are ok but would rather assume the worst.

I'm looking at one for my tank too. I think you will probably find a wealth of people that have one that has never even nibbled and others that have had one that has caused huge problems. My LFS doesn't recommend it he reckons the risk of them having a nibble and getting a bit of a taste for it is too great. I think it's down to the individual fish and if you want one you will have to chance your arm. I'm still considering it :unsure:

Pretty much what George said. I think out of all of the dwarf angels, Flame and Coral Beauty are the LEAST likely to nip corals. I know many people who have never had a problem, although the risk still exists. I would personally suggest tempting it.

Yeah i know it's hit and miss. I just wondered if i get one that does nip coral is this a massive issue or not. Will it's nipping completely wipe out coral or is it just an annoyance for reef tank keepers ?

I had two flames, and for some reason all pigmy/dwarf angels have died. :( but for the short period they were with me they were fine. I've heard that if u feed them lots then they won't be interested in corals (but as Everyones already said it's down to luck nd individual fish)

I don't know why they never survive in my tank? Any other fish type has done well! :)

From what i read lewiss they suffer a lot from transportation and capture and can therefore arrive with parasites and diseases. If i get one i'm going to make sure it is in the LFS for at least 4-6 weeks before purchase. It will be my last fish addition anyway. Going to start with a couple of clowns.

Sounds good! I did leave the second with the LFS for ages and it seemed fine, but all the pygmy/dwarf angels i have had, rock beauty, coral beauty, all seem to have died within about 4 days.

My water was perfect and i added others after and before and they were fine. Don't know what it is. I found them the hardest to care for. Wouldnt get another!! :(

Might just be my tank, or me! :crazy:

Rock beauties aren't easy fish to begin with. were they eating in the lfs? Shaking? Have any type of spot or discoloration on their eyes? A lot of ours are coming in with flukes.

here's a good read on Flame's.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/angels/centropyge/loricula.htm

They said he was but it wasn't a LFS I trust now! Don't use them anymore. No physical issues with her but she didn't last long. Who knows! I'm fully stocked now so doesn't really matter!!

I've heard that if u feed them lots then they won't be interested in corals (but as Everyones already said it's down to luck nd individual fish)

I've heard this too. I've read in a couple of places that they like to graze, so if they're fed sparingly they may start nipping corals in search of food. They suggested offering seaweed for them to nibble on. I'm thinking of trying it once I've got everything else in line... I'd love to have one.

Most reactions

Back