Fixing Cracked Glass

I'm sorry, but i disagree with y'all, I had the same situation (granted it was a 5 gal hex, so a little more money) the tank ahad a small crack, and the size doesn't create too much pressure, so i thought i would try to use crazy glue, it worked, i used it inside and outside on the crack and it got right inside the crack to seal it up, and since then I have set that tank up and the seal is fine. So if you've got the time try it out, if it works you have a free tank, if not you haven't lost anything other than a few drops of glue.

10g tank at lfs 7.99. Silicone at Walmart 6.99. Not wanting to spend $1 more on a new bigger tank, PRICELESS!

i have a 2 foot tank which i'm gonna use and it has a big crack across the bottom of it! i'm gonna cut the whole payne out, just slide a stanley knife along the silicone seal, and silicone on a piece of plexi glass, the same stuff people use for making dividers it only costs pence :D and is a lot easier to cut to shape than glass!

i have a 2 foot tank which i'm gonna use and it has a big crack across the bottom of it! i'm gonna cut the whole payne out, just slide a stanley knife along the silicone seal, and silicone on a piece of plexi glass, the same stuff people use for making dividers it only costs pence :D and is a lot easier to cut to shape than glass!

Unfortunately silicone will not bond plexiglass and glass together. It will form a seal of sorts, but will not withstand sustained water pressure. You would be far better off replacing the broken panel with glass; any glazier or glass shop will cut you a piece to the required size.

I have a question for you guys: I have a 20 gallon long in our garage and it has a crack about this big in it:

--------------------------------------------------------- How would i fix that? Just buy a glass pane? Use silicon sealant? Dont bother?

The crack is on the back of the tank and it runs to the joint on the bottom.

I have a question for you guys: I have a 20 gallon long in our garage and it has a crack about this big in it:

--------------------------------------------------------- How would i fix that? Just buy a glass pane? Use silicon sealant? Dont bother?

The crack is on the back of the tank and it runs to the joint on the bottom.

Replace the panel, or buy a new tank. It's not really worth attempting to repair a tank that small, for the cost of a new one. To remove and replace the panel would take about five times the amount of time that it would to make a replacement tank.

Most reactions

Back