Fixing aquarium background

Country joe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, been reading what to use when sticking down aquarium background, some say vaseline or vegetable oil, but they say it can go rancid, also baby oil which I fancy using, has anyone used baby oil.

Mine are all loose, friction fit under hang on tank filters, but I have a work area behind several of my tanks, and often remove them to see when vacuuming gravel… the ones that I have stuck, I use little adhesive dots that we had here for Mrs. Crafting, which still makes them easy to remove…

Hi, been reading what to use when sticking down aquarium background, some say vaseline or vegetable oil, but they say it can go rancid, also baby oil which I fancy using, has anyone used baby oil.
Beware of using any form of oil-based product to adhere a background to the glass on the back of a tank. I did that to one tank, and magically, after a month or so, the silicone seal on the bottom of the tank started leaking. Apparently, the oil runs down into the silicone and loosens its grip on the glass. I had water from the leak all over the floor and had to repair it and, in my case, throw the tank away.

I used backgrounds on my tanks before but using any other way to adhere them always was difficult and not perfect using tape, etc.

I now use water-based acrylic paint on the backs of tanks and am very pleased with the look. Plus, acrylic paint is easy to remove in the future, so it doesn't ruin the re-salability of the tank.

Last edited:
we had some of these at the house, & it's what I use, if I can't hold them up with hang on tank filters

Last edited:
I pressure fit black foam board between the top and bottom rims for my background. No tape, glue, or other items. The foam board also helps to slightly insulate the back of the tank

Most reactions

Back