Five Gallon Tank Dillema

jakpip

Reaction score
I set up a new five gallon tank and put five fish in it which I have since learnt was way too many! I am now left with one tiger barb and am wondering what I should put in with him as he looks awful lonesome there........................I live in Bahamas so fish selection is somewhat limited. Appreciate some guidance on this :unsure:

See how big they get :D It might outgrow the tank... Alsowatch out they might eat smaller fish but you called always try maybe a bigger tetra or something like that... pm me and ill offer propa advice lolSorry forgot that alst psot the edit button wouldnt work..I thought you meant tiger shark..tiger barbsid recommend maybe a cople tetras/harlequinsmaybe some shrimpplatys mollies?only a few :D

See how big they get :D It might outgrow the tank... Alsowatch out they might eat smaller fish but you called always try maybe a bigger tetra or something like that... pm me and ill offer propa advice lolSorry forgot that alst psot the edit button wouldnt work..I thought you meant tiger shark..tiger barbsid recommend maybe a cople tetras/harlequinsmaybe some shrimpplatys mollies?only a few :D

How many fish should I have in there total? Do any of these ones do the bottom cleaning etc?

Jakpip, if i were you i would add some cories! get a group of 2 or 3, three may be pushing it! But they're lovely creatures and are a great fish to come and greet you when you walk in the room! (also they're bottom feeders and will eat almost anything!)

I'm sorry, but that isn't very good advice... Mollies need at least a 20 gallon tank as some grow to 5/6".
Harlequin tetras need optimum water qualities, and with only a 5 gallon tank, that will be hard to keep up with other fish.
Without any other fish, you could fit 2 platies in, but IMO they're to active for a 5 gallon tank.
Some shrimp could be an option you've got a large variety of them. Get perhaps a few, 3 maybe?
Also, i hope you know that tiger barbs do like to be in groups about 8 or more.
But if you can't return him or get a larger tank for him& more buddies for him
i would get maybe 2 or 3 cory catfish, but only if your filter can handle it because that is overstocked
but there isn't much that you can do with suck little space, GET A BIGGER TANK :p hahah just kidding!
Oh, i just read that tiger barbs are fin nippers, so do not get any slow moving fish!!

I'm facing a similar dilema...personally I'm planning on moving the oto cats I currently have in my 6 gal into a 20 gal (and probably adding some tetras with them in the 20) next week. For the empty 6 gal I'll be left with, I'll probably get a single betta and maybe some shrimp.

If up-sizing is at all an option, I would definately go for it. Then you can get some additional barbs to keep your current one happy.

Small tanks seem like a great way to get into the hobby, but the more I've read and the more experience I've had (only a few months)...a tiny tank just isn't a good option...

>>They are tough to take care of (small fluctutations of any kind are a big deal in a 5 gallon -- not to mention the twice a week water changes)

>>It is tough to find appropriate stock for such a small space (I can't find much that will be happiy in a 6g other than a single betta and some shrimp)

>>It really just isn't fair to the fish (Just my $0.02)

Tiger Barbs do best in groups. I would take him back, he gets too big anyways. A rule with stocking community tanks is that you can have 1 inch of fish per gallon. I personally would consider, like tamara said, Corydora. The species C. aeneus, is very popular, and are from what I understand pretty easy to keep. Pygmy Cory are okay also. You could have 3 or 4 of those plus a nice Betta or Dwarf/Honey Gourami :drool: Also, you could try a school of Galaxy Rasboras, if you don't like the Gourami/Betta idea.

Tiger Barbs do best in groups. I would take him back, he gets too big anyways. A rule with stocking community tanks is that you can have 1 inch of fish per gallon. I personally would consider, like tamara said, Corydora. The species C. aeneus, is very popular, and are from what I understand pretty easy to keep. Pygmy Cory are okay also. You could have 3 or 4 of those plus a nice Betta or Dwarf/Honey Gourami :drool: Also, you could try a school of Galaxy Rasboras, if you don't like the Gourami/Betta idea.

OK I am going to give my Tiger Barb to a friend with a 50 gallon tank and start again!! A couple of shrimp and a couple of cory's does that sound okay?

OK I am going to give my Tiger Barb to a friend with a 50 gallon tank and start again!! A couple of shrimp and a couple of cory's does that sound okay?

Sounds fine to me. I would plant the tank also.

Most reactions

Back