Fishless Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's generally accepted that there is very little of the good bacteria growing anywhere but the filter.

You could take a small piece of filter media however. We normally say up to a third, but as the established tank is small and quite heavily stocked, I'd recommend you take no more than a quarter.

Put that straight into the filter of the new tank, once you have some household ammonia, and you should find you cycle goes much faster :good:
thanks

This helped me majorly thanks for the time and effort you put into to doing this..

PLease pin it

There are shops that stock ammonia, but I don't think Tesco is one of them. Homebase usually have it, as do Robert Dyas, and you can order it online to be collected instore at Boots, though they don't have it on the shelves.

Thanks for the info :)

Checked online and unable order from Boots or Robert Dyas. Hopefully will be able to pick some up from Homebase this week.

OK, finally picked some household ammonia up from a local diy hardware store :) (after trying several other stores, chemists etc). Anyway, could someone please tell me how much I need put in? I have a 180 litre tank (aqua one eurostyle 80) :unsure:

If your ammonia is 9.5%, which most of them are, you'd need 9.47mls to give you a 5ppm concentration, according to the calculator on this site (the link is up top, under the banner; it might not show up on all the skins though ;) )

Thanks Fluttermoth most appreciated :good: . Matty I was too tight to pay the postage and got it for £2.20 locally. Thanks for the info tho! :)

during a cycling if I add water because it is evaporating. Does that mess it up.??

No, only pure water will evaporate; the ammonia will be left behind :)

No, only pure water will evaporate; the ammonia will be left behind :)

thanks I was scared for a bit. I feel I am getting close to the end. I have nitrites and nitrates in water I just added more ammonia and now will keep a eye on how fast it goes back to 0 and wait for the nitrites to lower. I am really not sure if this is all right . But its been a little over 2 weeks so I think the timing is going good.

It sounds like it's going very well :)

I just need to bounce this off in here to make sure I am on the right track..

I am about 3.5 weeks into the clycling. The ammonia will go to 0 in about 15 hourish... I have had Nitrites and nitates for a week or so. The nitrates are very red so I have planty of them The nitrites are purple Picture attached to amek sure I am reading it right . Along with ammonia pic.... SO I read I have to wait for the nitrites to go down and the ammonia being cycled in about 12 hours or under... How long do I have to wait if the colors are not changing..I have had the tank up and just running for about 7 week.

I am just making sure I am on the right track.

Ok I found the calculator and did my 55 gallon tank. I might have been putting a litle to much ammonia. . not alot but it may make up for the time it takes to cycle out and all the other things I have present . HUMMM

Attachments

• IMG_5739.JPG
    IMG_5739.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5742.JPG
    IMG_5742.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back