Fishless cycle

daisycat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Reading other people's experiences of a fishless cycle it seems like you start with a big disadvantage if you don't get enough bacteria in there from an established tank to start with.

Fortunately we have an established tank and are planning to put some gravel from that into the new tank (in popsocks). How much gravel do I need (we are setting up a 400L tank). Also, I hear that filter media from an established filter is the best thing and I could of course take some from our filter, but wouldn't this send the other tank back into a cycle if I stole some of their bacterial base??? I am unsure of how to proceed as I want to take from the established tank without hurting it and the fish inside - any advice please?

If you are at all worried then by all means just use a kneehigh stocking 1/2 full of gravel - it should be enough to kick start your cycle and you won't have to worry too much about the other tank at the same time. :)

ALASKA

If its an option hook up the new filter to the existing tank. Let it run on the existing tank for a couple of weeks and then when you are ready to start the new tank just move it over. Just make sure that when you move it that there is an ammonia source in the new tank to keep the bacteria alive.
If you use the gravel i usually put a couple of handfuls in each sock and for a tank that size hang or lay one in each corner.
With the filter media i usually place an extra sponge in the exisiting filter when i know i will be cycling a new tank and just leave it in there until i am ready to go with the new tank. Then just move it into the new filter. Not sure if your filters will be the same type but regardless i have had great success combining both of the first two suggestions...run the filter in the existing tank and put gravel in the socks. HTH :)

We can't take the other filter off as we need it to keep the tank running where our fish currently are.

Also, it is two completely different filters so no way to put part of old filter in new one unfortunately.

It looks like the gravel in pop socks thing is the way forward. I had planned on doing several spaced around the tank, so hopefully that should do the trick.

Would there be any benefit to squeezing our old filter sponges into the water of the new tank?

Sorry if i led you astray. I meant to take the filter that you are going to use in the new tank and set it up on the existing tank and let both filters run at the same time. This will build the bacteria in the new filter so that when you are ready to cycle the new tank you can just move it over. This should drastically reduce any further cycling as the filter is already cycled.
I have never used the squeezings but i am sure it cant hurt. HTH :)

Oh i see!

Unfortunately filter is attached to the inside of the new tank so I can't remove the whole thing, just the bit inside that contains the sponges.

If only the sand would arrive I wouldn't have so much time to think about these ridiculous things!!!

Another thing that may help then is plants. They will come with benficial bacteria as they will come from an established tank. Also a piece of filter materail cut off the existing filter and placed in your new filter would help as well. Good Luck with that beautiful new tank *drool* :)

Thanks for the tip on plants - we were planning to buy all new plants for this tank - LFS just across the road, but obv waiting for the sand to come etc so we can get water in there first!

It is beautiful already but does look a bit sad taking up a big space in our living room with nothing in it :-(

The kind of good news is that half the sand arrived today!!! Must try to keep a positive mentality when all around parcel deliverers are being completely hopeless!

Most reactions

Back