Fishless Cycle

Beemeeup

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can you fishless cycle without adding neat amonia - instead by just adding food which rots down?
how do you get rid of the brown algae at the end? is this algae inevitable?
any help welcome please as i hope to start on saturday :-(

Ammonia is actually cheaper than the amount of fish food you would have to use...

97¢ for a 64oz. bottle at my local Walmart

Adding food will build up sludge on your filter and is really a messy way to do it. Just buy some ammonia. Also, you only need a couple ounces of it a week to cycle a tank.

im nearly 3 weeks into cycling my 20G tank... all i add is 4ml of household ammonia every day to keep the filter fed.

the ammonia bottle (250ml) cost me £1.99!

Ammonia is actually cheaper than the amount of fish food you would have to use...

Adding food will build up sludge on your filter and is really a messy way to do it. Just buy some ammonia. Also, you only need a couple ounces of it a week to cycle a tank.

Thanks. I'll have to find a source in Wales , UK

I managed to find it at homebase in the cleaning section it was called "household ammonia" and comes in a blue and white 500ml bottle...if you can't find it give the staff the following article code: 55362.
Don't listen to the staff if they say they don't have it...they think if doesn't exist.
Good luck. :)

I managed to find it at homebase in the cleaning section it was called "household ammonia" and comes in a blue and white 500ml bottle...if you can't find it give the staff the following article code: 55362.
Don't listen to the staff if they say they don't have it...they think if doesn't exist.
Good luck. :)
Robert dyas do it, looks like :

217561337_0bdfbbdec3_m.jpg

Boots sell it too - plain white bottle with blue writing called Household Ammonia cost about £1.99.

I bought mine in Cardiff

I was at my LFS talking to them about cycling tanks, they usually do a 2 week cycle of the tank and then put fish in.

For a quickly cycled tank they told me about a new product from Tetraaqua, called Tetraaqua Cycle ... it had just come on the market yesterday (I think) and they said that Tetra had a great reputation so if someone was going the fishless cycle route they'd reccomend that as opposed to the adding of ammonia.

It cost 16 euro (about 11 pounds).

Just thought you might like to know :)

I was at my LFS talking to them about cycling tanks, they usually do a 2 week cycle of the tank and then put fish in.

For a quickly cycled tank they told me about a new product from Tetraaqua, called Tetraaqua Cycle ... it had just come on the market yesterday (I think) and they said that Tetra had a great reputation so if someone was going the fishless cycle route they'd reccomend that as opposed to the adding of ammonia.

It cost 16 euro (about 11 pounds).

Just thought you might like to know :)

Thanks for that info. I would prefer that route but the pinned article tends to throw doubt on such products - maybe this one is more than adequate for the job

Well doin it with ammonia is cheaper for sure ... but to be honest if so many companies are making these cycle products they must be of some use.

I know for certain that I'll be using it when I start to cycle my new tank once I get my filter in the post :)

Hope all goes well with your cycling :)

Well doin it with ammonia is cheaper for sure ... but to be honest if so many companies are making these cycle products they must be of some use.

I know for certain that I'll be using it when I start to cycle my new tank once I get my filter in the post :)

Hope all goes well with your cycling :)

Many thanks for all your help

Most reactions

Back