Fishless Cycle

dt3000

Reaction score
Started my fishless cycle before I went on Hols...when I got back Nitrites and Nitrates are through the roof, Ammonia was virtually zero.

Added some more ammonia, should I now do a water change to reduce Nitrates or should I leave it until the Nitrites drop. Also, should I keep adding ammonia once Nitrites reduce to zero or thereabouts?

Advice very welcome.

Thanks

Never do a water-change in a fishless cycle, until at the end.

Once ur nitrites are @ 0, do a 90-100% (making sure all nitrates are gone) water change.

Then you can add your fish!

Thanks for the warning...I was preparing some water earlier to put in tonight...I'll scrap that.

Never do a water-change in a fishless cycle, until at the end.

Once ur nitrites are @ 0, do a 90-100% (making sure all nitrates are gone) water change.

Then you can add your fish!

Thanks...will do...still got a long time to wait then!

Agreed. Carry on adding ammonia daily or whenever it has dropped from 5ppm to 0ppm. Should take around 3 - 5 weeks from start to finish.

Nitrites are now 0

Did a 90% water change and tested again

Nitrates are between 25-50 mg/L same as the tap water so I reckon I can't go any lower...is that figure acceptable?

PH=7 approx

KH is >6

GH 3

I think the above 2 are the correct way round.

When I put the newly treated water into the 10% of water left, it made the tank very cloudy - I saw this happen before and the tank cleared quite quickly.

Is it now safe to give some fish a new home?

Thanks...will do...still got a long time to wait then!

Agreed. Carry on adding ammonia daily or whenever it has dropped from 5ppm to 0ppm. Should take around 3 - 5 weeks from start to finish.

It should be safe to add fish. If you do not add fish in a day or two, be sure to add ammonia to keep the filter in tip-top shape and do another 90 percent change the day before adding fish.

Thanks....took the readings into the local petstore and they confirmed the water was ok. Bought a couple of colourful male guppies and a bronze cory ...... they seem to be adapting quite well. Not sure how much to feed them though....crushed up about a dozen flakes of tropical food and put that in the tank 8pm and 8am.

It should be safe to add fish. If you do not add fish in a day or two, be sure to add ammonia to keep the filter in tip-top shape and do another 90 percent change the day before adding fish.

Thanks....took the readings into the local petstore and they confirmed the water was ok. Bought a couple of colourful male guppies and a bronze cory ...... they seem to be adapting quite well. Not sure how much to feed them though....crushed up about a dozen flakes of tropical food and put that in the tank 8pm and 8am.

Congrats on your new setup. :D

Just a couple of thoughts: with male guppies you are going to need more than two as they are highly sexed macho characters; there is a serious risk of bullying with only 2. A group of 5 or more will spread aggression, so it's not the same poor sod that gets it in the neck all the time.

(If you can handle the fry, the other option is getting 4 or more females- for the same macho oversexed reasons, you need at least 2 females per male, but be warned- they are very prolific fish.)

If you have the room, your cory will also be happier with some mates, as they are schooling fish. At least 2 more, and gender does not matter, as corys are totally unaggressive creatures.

A dozen flakes seems quite a lot for these 3 fish. I calculate about 2-3 flakes per day for my female guppies, maybe a bit less for the males- so about 2 flakes/day. The cory, maybe a bit more, don't know for sure as I feed mine catfish tablets (1/4 tablet per cory once a day). Overfeeding will mess up your water stats.

I also feed my gups veggies (e.g. 1/2 crushed pea or a few shavings of sprout) twice a week, and jellied bloodworm or daphnia once or twice a week.

Thanks for the additional advice on the food .... I'll stop by and pick up a few bits today. As for the aggression, I'll keep my eye on them...they seem to be happily swimming around together at the moment. Will the guppies feed off the bottom also?

Congrats on your new setup. :D

Just a couple of thoughts: with male guppies you are going to need more than two as they are highly sexed macho characters; there is a serious risk of bullying with only 2. A group of 5 or more will spread aggression, so it's not the same poor sod that gets it in the neck all the time.

(If you can handle the fry, the other option is getting 4 or more females- for the same macho oversexed reasons, you need at least 2 females per male, but be warned- they are very prolific fish.)

If you have the room, your cory will also be happier with some mates, as they are schooling fish. At least 2 more, and gender does not matter, as corys are totally unaggressive creatures.

A dozen flakes seems quite a lot for these 3 fish. I calculate about 2-3 flakes per day for my female guppies, maybe a bit less for the males- so about 2 flakes/day. The cory, maybe a bit more, don't know for sure as I feed mine catfish tablets (1/4 tablet per cory once a day). Overfeeding will mess up your water stats.

I also feed my gups veggies (e.g. 1/2 crushed pea or a few shavings of sprout) twice a week, and jellied bloodworm or daphnia once or twice a week.

Most reactions

Back