Fishkeeping Pet Peeves.....What's Yours?

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
Noise of whatever is in the tank is my peeve.

I like my aquaclear... Just a very light trickle you hear if set up right... If you hate your HOB try an aquaclear
I like aquaclears, and have a number of them, but sometimes they can also get very noisy. It seems to be a bit of luck to get a real quiet one.

In regards to the sponge on the end of the filter intake I use a fine mesh filter bag now rather than a sponge. It has a much larger surface area and is easier to clean, so it is not plugged as often.

Suction cups are worth pulling hair out, they either do not want to stay put as they are weak, or they lose function after being removed and applied a few times.

Why is every ornament "made" for aquariums a death trap for fish. The people who design them literally have no idea that inevitably a fish will get stuck in any number of the stupid small holes. I have kids, so they want "cool" decorations for the tank in their room, no matter how many times I tell them it is not a good idea (They are 7 and 4....so, that's why). It frustrate me to no end, I spend $12 plus dollars on a stupid cave only having to break it later to rescue a fish that tried go through the wrong hole or got stuck in a strange groove inside of it. Why can't artificial caves/ornaments be made more open on the inside with two nice large exits...oh, right, that's not "interesting"

The loud hum of the air pump...whisper quiet, my butt.

Finally, I have a canister filter that no matter how much i have tried to fix, it "belches" for 24 hours after I have done maintenance on it. I will be reading, the room quiet and all of a sudden, BLLABALLLARGH!!! Scares me every time! I have others by the same brand that DO NOT DO THIS. It is just the big beast and damn it sounds like one too.

You never stop wishing for a larger aquarium. It never ends. When things are going wrong? Then for a time you think a large aquarium is a burden right?...but when you sort out problems,you are back to wishing for that giant aquarium of your dreams.

You never stop wishing for a larger aquarium. It never ends. When things are going wrong? Then for a time you think a large aquarium is a burden right?...but when you sort out problems,you are back to wishing for that giant aquarium of your dreams.
Larger aquariums I believe are actually easier to care for (depending on how big)... There is a "sweet spot" size... I don't know what that size is but its where its so big that you don't do water changes and the filter is so big it takes up a basement... I think I heard its only like once a year maintenance for the filter depending on how well its running of course... But if you got a 100 gallon tank... Yah, I think after week two I'd be like... Me want my ten gallon and a python

This is a newer pet peeve, but fry traps need a way to keep them in place. I just lost a beautiful bumblebee platy fry because a fry trap with smaller fry in it drifted with the current and trapped him out of the water between the glass and the trap :(

Just saw one of the new "AQUASHELLA" conventions. My peeve is that they really push the selling of very large fish..RTC,Arowana,and the like. But not one single booth was selling 5,000 gallon aquariums to keep those fish in. A big and huge demerit to the hobby is that aquariums themselves that size are about the same cost as a brand new Euro luxury car out the door.
Acrylic is just plastic. How can it cost so much?

nasty nasty filter cleaning and a fussy filter filled with hair algae

Most reactions

Back