Fish Welfare Charity - Followup

alisonfishfanatic

Reaction score
Further to the comments received yesterday and the results of the poll I would like to follow up with the following information (feedback gratefully sought).

1. A New Charity will be formed with the Charity Commissioners to launch in the New Year. The name of this charity shall be the FISH WELFARE SOCIETY.
2. The aim of the charity will be to promote responsible fishkeeping; that fish are not disposable pets or ornaments and must be looked after properly.
3. The charity will produce and offer free of charge factsheets (by download) to individuals and LFS to accompany any new purchase of a tropical fish. (Printed copies will also be available at minimal charge). This factsheet will provide; typical size of fish when grown, suitable diet, recommended tank size, a suitability rating (BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED) and other information as deemed appropriate. All fact sheets will take the same format to allow for easy comparison when making a selection.
4. The charity will provide free training courses for beginners with a certificate upon completion. Courses will include; INTRODUCTION TO FISHKEEPING, BASIC TANK UPKEEP, TANK SETUP as well as fish specific courses such as DISCUS KEEPER, GOLDFISH KEEPER etc.
5. There will be local training courses and work undertaken within schools in the North Wales and North West England area.
6. The charity will operate a free online kids club "THE JUNIOR FISHKEEPER". This will provide content specifically aimed at the younger would be aquarist.
7. The website will provide lists of LFS that adhere to the code of practice; these LFS will carry the "NOVICE FRIENDLY" mark for which they will be able to display a quality mark logo.

The key issue here is that everything is aimed at the total novice. There will be a pitch towards parents; if your child asks for a fish as a pet get them to complete a free online training course first to be sure they understand the subject! The aims do not compete with the likes of OATA or PKF but rather to guide the beginner to the position where they can comfortably move on to these resources where is certain baseline of knowledge is required.

The website will be located at www.fishwelfare.co.uk; this was registered today!

All comments would be gratefully appreciated. Please please please post your comments and ideas and help form this charity!

i must have missed the original post, but this has the potential to be fantastic.
i wonder how many of my lfs will become "novice friendly"

Sounds great to me, lfs do need experienced staff working for them, there dealing with living animals not toys.
Well done.

top notch i love the idea i want to wokr ina fish store wen i have kid i would do it as a part time job whilst my kids are at school then i want to eventually open my own store

i would deff use that site and all it offeres or all costomers :D

Most reactions

Back