Fish Tanks Springing Leaks.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

oscar52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just a query ...

Some people will know from here, I am in the process (slow may it be) o fre-setting up my 3 foot fish tank.

Being its just passed being two years old, and not really knowing the life expectancy of silicon, should I be expecting it to spontaneously leak at any time? Mum wouldnt be happy about 180 litres of water on the befroom floor.

I think you'll be fine. We have a 15 year old tank set up in the basement, no leaking at all.

I inherited a tank from my dad when I was 17, it was older than me and is still going strong!

I don't think you will have a problem. I am still using tanks that I made 28 years ago, and have not experienced any signs of leaking or deterioration with them. They have also moved house 5 times during that period.

Yep, I agree. The only funny is that silicon can perish if the tank is left dry for long enough...
If you're really concerned, then fill the tank with water outside and see if you get any dribbles from the joints - I think it would happen pretty quickly, so you could just leave it outside for a few hours and keep checking it.

Cheers all.

Its actually full now - cant catch the sucking loach, little sod, so i know its not leaking. Just wondered how long before they did (if it all) cos they only gaurantee it for a year

Just got a new tank. 15 days into cycling it's sprung a leak :(

I tested it when I got it but the water seems to have made a path through the silicon.

Luckily I spotted it when I got home and it must of only been leaking a few minutes as the puddle was relatively small.

A visit to the shop for me tomorrow and then starting all over again...

I think on a new tank any manufacturing defect would cause the leak - on anolder tank, it's unlikely to suddenly start leaking. The only exception is if the silicone has dried out for too long and perished. But I reckon you'd find this out pretty soon after filling the tank!

it happened to me just last week, big post about it here if your concerned.

So how long does silicone last in the open air? Who knows how old some of the tanks are that sit in the pet stores.

Just a query ...

Some people will know from here, I am in the process (slow may it be) o fre-setting up my 3 foot fish tank.

Being its just passed being two years old, and not really knowing the life expectancy of silicon, should I be expecting it to spontaneously leak at any time? Mum wouldnt be happy about 180 litres of water on the befroom floor.

well my rio 180, just split on the botton seal, it was about 4 years old (i bought it stocked ). it does happen but it aint that often.

Most reactions

Back