Fish Tank Worries

Chas

Reaction score
-_- Hello

Me and my other half had been toying over getting some fish for our two kids and ourselves for a couple of months when my other half got offered a bargain 60litre tank with filter, heater, gravel, gravel mat and pump. (It originally housed a puffer fish which sadly died.)

We snapped it up and a friend of a friend helped set up the tank with eight baby mollies, a couple of rocks, a piece of wood and some plastic plants.

As he was desperate to move the baby mollies, they went straight into the tank after running the tank for only two days. (75F)

A couple of days later we went to get a pleco (advice from the friend of a friend) but were told to leave the tank for at least four weeks for algae to build up. So we bought 3 glowlights and 3 neons as they looked great and wouldn't eat the mollies. The tetras went straight into the tank with the baby mollies.

The next day I took the kids to a different shop and bought 3 more neons (I felt the ones we had looked lonely), 7 harlequins (should have been six harlequins but we got an extra one by surprise) and one real plant. I asked the man in the shop if this was too many fish for our tank but the bloke said it should be fine.

So that's:
8 baby mollies: They swim against the current from the air hose thing and get caught in the turbulence from the filter which is really funny.
7 harlequins: They hide at the side and then periodically go for swims.
6 neons: They swim all over but one of the Neons stays at the bottom with jerky movements, we call him Shaky.
3 glowlights: They swim with the Neons and Harlequins.
(Two rocks which the fish can swim through, one piece of wood, one real plant and two plastic plants.)

After all this I decided to go onto the internet and look for a few fish facts and helpful advice.

Now I am worried :(

I am worried that I have stocked up far too quickly with too many fish. Even if they are tiny.

I am worried that the water will not be up to scratch.

I am worried that there will not be enough bacteria. (The gravel in the tank is old but had been washed, although if you stir it up a lot of particles/dirt is released.)

I am worried about this nitrogen cycle business.

Can anybody offer me some constructive advice to help me make sure all the fish survive?

Thanks

Chas

EDIT: Sorry but I posted in the wrong forum

I did the same as you when i first started and i did lose a few fish but hardy ones will survive and a lot of the fish you've got are hardy ! Glad you didn't get a plec because they would have died. They need to be in a mature tank to thrive and make sure you don't buy a common one as they grow big and become destructive.When you do get one get a clown as it stays small.
The fish you have bought are small so there will not be too much poo from them so your tank should go through a cycle perfectly fine. Buy the stuff called stress zyme as its a bottle full of good bacteria that will help sort out cloudy water you will probably get in a new tank and help the fish ( i found this stuff does wonders for my tanks and my fish stay pretty healthy) :D Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks for the reply.

When should I expect the water to cloud?

Also, how much water should I change and when?

Thanks again

Chas

If you are lucky it might not happen at all. but usually within the first two weeks . its known as new tank syndrome , something to do with the lack of bacteria within new tanks. but with filter going and regular water changes that should disappear.Only change 20% of the water evry week. Make sure you DON'T clean the filter sponge/media in tap water clean it in the old tank water as it keeps the bacteria alive (i learnt this the hard way)
Don't worry too much about anything as you are meant to enjoy this hobby i usually find that trusting my instincts works ;)
And if the your friend didn't tell you when your mollies are fully grown unless you have all of one sex they are going to breed about every 28 days so you might want to get rid of some of those to the local fish shop before you have the same problem he did ! :crazy: hope my advice helps

I'd advise you to get (if yo uhaven't already) test kits for ammonia and nitrite so you can monitor how your tank's doing and act accordingly.

Hi and welcome to Forums :D

test kits for ammonia and nitrite so you can monitor how your tank's doing and act accordingly.

I agree about getting a test kit but found the whole nitrogen cycle confusing so here is a link that might help you understand what you are testing for and why.

Nitrogen Cycle

Good Luck, Let us know how you get on :cool:

right in order to give your fish the best chance of living few the cycle follow the advice given HERE

:nod: :nod:

excellent article, very well written lol

first port of call is definately a test kit, that topic should tell you all you need to know and what to do

right in order to give your fish the best chance of living few the cycle follow the advice given HERE

:nod: :nod:

excellent article, very well written lol

first port of call is definately a test kit, that topic should tell you all you need to know and what to do

yes it is, i have been linking to it a lot the past week :good:

Most reactions

Back