Fish tank will be overcrowded?

Thanks for the replies. As you can tell, I'm ultra new at this.

Unfortunately I don't have any other metrics outside of PH. I de-chlorinated the water, ran the filter (w/ charcoal & biomax), and put a few food flakes in and ran that with no fish for ~2 weeks. Also used PH Down until it stabilized.

I haven't lost anything, and they all seem happy. They don't hide, come running for food, haven't seen anyone nip, and they're all really active (except the catfish which hides during the day).

But oof, sounds like this is setup for failure. Lesson learned here: find a new store. Figured I could go to the experts who make their living off of it, but seems that's not the case. The total sale was only like $20, so it's not like they made a killing off it either.

Someone I know has a 40 gallon tank which is almost empty (I think just 1 fish at the moment, forget what kind), said they'd take the bala at least. Should I try to re-home the barbs there as well?

Also, I have an empty 30 gallon tank (wanted to have a fully functioning 10 before going bigger). I would like to not set that up quite yet, if possible.
But I also want these dudes to be happy & healthy.

Welcome to TFF!
Don't worry, a lot of us started with the same mistake of believing whatever the lfs sales person was saying. A few things I can suggest right now is to invest in test kits, at least for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. And then set up the 30 gallon tank. You'll find that it's actually easier to work with a bigger tank than a smaller one. :)

My local animal shelter has a program with Petco where they put fish up for adoption just like cats and dogs. You may want to check with your local animal shelter to see if they do the same if the LFS does not help you out. Good luck :good:

My local animal shelter has a program with Petco where they put fish up for adoption just like cats and dogs. You may want to check with your local animal shelter to see if they do the same if the LFS does not help you out. Good luck :good:
Or some local fishkeeping groups on FB, too. We have quite a few where I live, and there are many keepers who are willing to adopt.

Just wanted to post an update for those who took the time to answer/help.

The bad:
- Those who said the bala shark didn't look right might have an eye for diagnosis. It died shortly after and very quickly. Ate heartily in the morning, upside down by the afternoon. I showed some pictures to another local fish store & he said it looked bruised, and maybe misshapen in the tail. He had a few ones we could compare it to.
- The two longfin (cherry?) barbs are dead as well. One showed signs of Ich, and the shock of my quarantining & starting treatment might have been the death knell. The other I found in the morning by the filter. Sorry little buddies, I failed you.

The good:
- Barb #1 is doing positively swimmingly. Little guy is lightning.
- The catfish has only grown bolder. I see more of him now than ever.

The maybe?:
- The betta also contracted Ich. Big Red is quarantined in a 2.5 gallon and on the mend w/ salt & meds. Looking better & more spry each day, currently under surveillance until all symptoms pass.

I kept a petco betta alive in a 2.5 gallon for 3.5 years w/o issue, but round 2 is off to a rough start. Live & learn.

Just wanted to post an update for those who took the time to answer/help.

The bad:
- Those who said the bala shark didn't look right might have an eye for diagnosis. It died shortly after and very quickly. Ate heartily in the morning, upside down by the afternoon. I showed some pictures to another local fish store & he said it looked bruised, and maybe misshapen in the tail. He had a few ones we could compare it to.
- The two longfin (cherry?) barbs are dead as well. One showed signs of Ich, and the shock of my quarantining & starting treatment might have been the death knell. The other I found in the morning by the filter. Sorry little buddies, I failed you.

The good:
- Barb #1 is doing positively swimmingly. Little guy is lightning.
- The catfish has only grown bolder. I see more of him now than ever.

The maybe?:
- The betta also contracted Ich. Big Red is quarantined in a 2.5 gallon and on the mend w/ salt & meds. Looking better & more spry each day, currently under surveillance until all symptoms pass.

I kept a petco betta alive in a 2.5 gallon for 3.5 years w/o issue, but round 2 is off to a rough start. Live & learn.
Stick at it mate. We’ve all been mugged by lfs people.

The Internet has not been the boon we were told it would be. As soon as someone reads information they don't like they just keep looking until they find some nut that will tell them what they want to hear. OK, that doesn't really apply to this topic but it had to be said. Get yourself a really good general reference book on tropical fish and educate yourself. Next, find a small locally owned tropical fish specialty store or pet shop and build a relationship with them. Stay away from the big chains. If you can't then go there armed with knowledge from your book. Get yourself a bunch of guppies. Everybody likes guppies. Get your hands wet with them first. You'll learn a lot from them.

Most reactions

Back