fish tank water! filter

aibo210

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

just a quick question could you use a brita water filter jug to replace the water in your tank when you change it. Im only asking this because they remove clorine from the tap water and there only £3 for a cartridge.

Carl

yes id say it would be sound but it is just as cheap to buy some declorineator, i buy it and use it every time i add fresh water its pennies to buy around £2.00 a tub.

now i was wondering this earlier today.. does anyone else know what stuff these jug filters remove?? Phosphates??

i'm hopeing they do - anyone know for sure?

I use my PUR to replace the water in my 5G hex's. Its much to slow though to do the water for my 46G

I did some tests a while ago with our 2g Brita pitcher. It removed almost all the "hardness" from my water. Took our tap water from pH 7.8, GH 19, KH 10 to pH 7.1, GH 4, KH 1. Not sure what it does for phosphates, I didn't have a phosphate test kit at the time.

But, unless you have a very small tank, I'd think you'd go broke on filter cartridges. Plus, as Sky mentioned, it takes a long, long time to run (say) 10g through the filter.

Hi
So, does that mean when you do a water change, you just empty out a certain percentage of water say 20% for arguments sake, and add pure tap water with the dechlorinator (water conditioner) thats a relief i thought i had to use a bucket or separate tank to dechlorinate the replacement water before adding it, (sorry about the diabolical spelling)

Is this right
Regards Miranda

Hi miranda,

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Personally I siphon the water out, and then each time I add a bucket back i declorinate it before putting it in the tank, but it works pretty much instantly (if you get a quality dechlorinator).

I know some people also put water directly into the tank and then add the dechlorinator straight away, but I have always been cautious about this. Always try and adopt the 'safer than sorry' approach! :thumbs:

I saw you are setting up your tank, is it cycled yet? Have you read the pinned topics about this?

jump

Thank you Jump
Yes, Tstenback (sorry if i got that wrong), was very helpful with a link on how to fishless cycle my tank which i started last night, i just didnt know where to get pure ammonia from as i didnt fancy using window cleaner as i saw on this forum sounds a little frightening. I did also read that you can use fish food, so i added some this morning, and i need to get a testing kit, but i dont know where or which to buy, can you help?? Sorry this is off the original topic a bit

BTW - thanks again for the advice about dechlorinating it first, the only trouble i would have is apparentely you need to have the active air bubbles for the bacteria, so would it be okay just to add the dechlorinator to the bucket of water? if so how long would i leave it before adding it to the tank?

And last of all (sorry to be so annoying) whats the best dechlorinator to use

Thanks
Kindest Regards
Miranda

After you have added the dechlorinator to the bucket of water it can go straight in.

There are many different test kits to buy, I believe mine are Nutrafin...

I use Aqua PLus dechlorinator as it takes out both Chlorine and Chloramine, which some do not. Never gone wrong with this one.

HTH

jump

I did some tests a while ago with our 2g Brita pitcher. It removed almost all the "hardness" from my water. Took our tap water from pH 7.8, GH 19, KH 10 to pH 7.1, GH 4, KH 1. Not sure what it does for phosphates, I didn't have a phosphate test kit at the time.

But, unless you have a very small tank, I'd think you'd go broke on filter cartridges. Plus, as Sky mentioned, it takes a long, long time to run (say) 10g through the filter.

yeah I have tried it also to my self and it makes me happy for the result... i think that this filter is great... for my tank, may tanks is 3 cubic feet and it is great...

--------------------
Refrigerator Filters

Test Kits:
I, (and I'm under the impression that most people on here are the same), use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Obviously it's up to you what you buy, just make sure you get a liquid based test kit, not the 'test strips' as they are notriously inaccurate.

Ammonia:
Never heard of using window cleaner, in fact I'd be worried that might have things other than ammonia in it.
As you are in the UK best places I have found to get ammonia is BOOTS, or Homebase. For BOOTS it needs to be a fairly big store as it is sold with the cleaning stuff, and the small stores tend to just stock the chemist & baby type things. In both shops it is called "Household Ammonia", in Boots it's a normal round white bottle with red lid, and in Homebase it is a squarer white bottle, (but again labelled as household ammonia).
Whereever you get it, check the back of the bottle, and the 'ingrediants' should list only water and ammonia, or perhaps it will say "xx% ammonia solution", or even "xx% ammonia w/w".
Really getting the ammonia is the BEST way to do it, as then you can accurately control how much you are putting into the tank, whereas with using flakes etc it's a bit hit and miss.

On the topic of water filters my water filter specifically says it should NOT be used for aquatic use.
I think it is because of the way it can destabalise your water conditions, (lowering the Ph, and also lowering the hardness, and hence the 'buffering' ability of the water). This is the thing I would be MOST wary of, as unless you have fish that actually REQUIRE softer water, lowering your KH/GH is not something you normally want to do)
Brita just advise against it, but don't really say why, perhaps just covering themselves:
Brita Advice

Bah, I only look at the date of the last post, not of the dates on the ones before that, must check in future, seems there is a resurrector in town again :p

Most reactions

Back