Fish tank leaking water overnight

Beau87

Reaction score
Woke up today an water dropped about an inch overnight 130 litre tank,water is leaking from somewhere maybe the silicone sealant around the edges somewhere.
I moved my fish into a big plastic tub 100litres with the water from the tank into the tub, but only used half the water as it's only a plastic container. I was worried it would crack the plastic with the weight so that was the reason I did half the water. I put the noodles directly into the water with the fish as I can't get the pump working. The pump shaft is way too long an too high for the container, maybe the motor needs to be under water, but that's not possible with the container I have.
Is it ok to have the fish in the tub with just the heater an noodles in the tub for a few days as I get the the main tank fixed an repaired?

Is it ok to have the fish in the tub with just the heater an noodles in the tub for a few days as I get the the main tank fixed an repaired?
Yep, make sure there's aeration and filter in the tub though.

I don't have my filter or pump running in the tank just the noodle media, I just put the airstone in the middle of the tank to get some sort of flow in there, still ok?

Attachments

• 20210319_211633.jpg
    20210319_211633.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 59
Are you sure your loosing water through the tank and not a leak in the filter ? , in my 500l il loose around 30l over the week just through evaporation

Did you find water on the floor?
I once thought I had a leak. Turned out a snail had got stuck in one of my outlet nozzles which changed the water flow upwards. The water was directed upwards at the lid an just trickling over the side.

Water was all over the bottom of the tank an the cabinet timber was all swollen because of moisture, currently filled the bottom part of the tank with food die an seeing if it's leaking at the bottom silicone joints, I will silicone all the joints again to be safe anyway, but curious to see where it comes from.

Attachments

• 20210319_220259.jpg
    20210319_220259.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 54
You can see the water damage, the top lid of the cabinet is swollen.

Attachments

• 20210319_220804.jpg
    20210319_220804.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210319_220807.jpg
    20210319_220807.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 75
Love the food colouring idea, I'll store that in the bank! Best of luck fixing it up. Absolute nightmare. I had a tank pop in the night, where it slightly overhung, once ?‍♂️ there's always something to overcome in the hobby!

No problem with the food dye idea, another quick question, does there need to be a certain silicone that needs to be used for fish tanks. I have bathroom an shower water proof sealent, the chemicals in the silicone won't kill the fish?
  • Sanitary grade silicone
  • Watertight seal
  • Acetic cure
  • Excellent adhesion
Parfix Bathroom And Kitchen Silicone cures to produce a watertight seal and contains agents to resist the growth of mould and fungus.

This clear coloured sanitary grade sealant is most suited to use on shower recesses, splash backs, bath tubs and vanities

Iv used big standard sealant before with no worries , iv found the curing process is longer mine took over a week to cure fully

For peace of mind scrape ALL the old sealant from every joint and reseal with aquarium silicone sealant. It will take three days to cure. Don't rush the process. It's too bad this happened but it happens to everyone at some time or another. Your turn has now come and gone so be glad of that. You will probably have to replace the stand entirely. If it is made out of particle board it is no good now. Your fish should be fine where they are for a week. They got shipped once so they expect this.

For peace of mind scrape ALL the old sealant from every joint and reseal with aquarium silicone sealant. It will take three days to cure. Don't rush the process. It's too bad this happened but it happens to everyone at some time or another. Your turn has now come and gone so be glad of that. You will probably have to replace the stand entirely. If it is made out of particle board it is no good now. Your fish should be fine where they are for a week. They got shipped once so they expect this.
+1 to the above.

Most reactions

Back