Fish tank in music room

Tyler777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Any of you keep a fish tank in a roo. Where you listen to music or play an instrument like electric guirar or drums ?.

I ask bcausemy125 gallonstank is in my baseent where i listen to my cd collection watch movies n play my el3ctric guitar using an amp.
Would the noise of my electric giitar or the sound of my cds playing would affect the fish ?

Yeah, it's possible to have a sound system that is strong enough to terrorize fishes in a nearby aquarium.

Principally low frequency at high volume and loud sudden noise can startle them.

But at a reasonable volume, they only perceive something like a distant rumble and there is no problems with that.

But they can be acclimated slowly and get use to it with time.

I have 3 125g tanks and 3 40g in the basement, where my cd collection and stereo lives. I cannot imagine water changes without listening to music. Have not had any issues for years.

Any of you keep a fish tank in a roo. Where you listen to music or play an instrument like electric guirar or drums ?.

I ask bcausemy125 gallonstank is in my baseent where i listen to my cd collection watch movies n play my el3ctric guitar using an amp.
Would the noise of my electric giitar or the sound of my cds playing would affect the fish ?
No worries, many of us pipe in music. I wouldn't worry unless you are using a super subwoofer, playing your guitar through a Marshall Stack or pounding on a set of vintage Ludwigs with Zildjian crash cymbals. Play your CD's and pick away. Just be careful to avoid electrical or grounding issues with your guitar or stereo in a potentially wet environment.

Yeah, it's possible to have a sound system that is strong enough to terrorize fishes in a nearby aquarium.

Principally low frequency at high volume and loud sudden noise can startle them.

But at a reasonable volume, they only perceive something like a distant rumble and there is no problems with that.

But they can be acclimated slowly and get use to it with time.
Thank you for your response n advice

No worries, many of us pipe in music. I wouldn't worry unless you are using a super subwoofer, playing your guitar through a Marshall Stack or pounding on a set of vintage Ludwigs with Zildjian crash cymbals. Play your CD's and pick away. Just be careful to avoid electrical or grounding issues with your guitar or stereo in a potentially wet environment.
Well I guess I found a fellow musicician here who by your talking bout marshalls n ludwigs drums must be z hard rocker like me

Fish have lateral line, an organ that senses vibration. It's partly why dynamite fishing kills them. But I love my loud music, and used to have a system that worked above the hum of the filters and bubbling. I found if I was playing roots dub reggae with its thundering, snaking basslines, they reacted negatively. So did my partner. So I turned it down, and saw no problem. If you stay below the visibly or to the touch vibrating sound level, it should be safe.

Get a band together in there and things might get stressful and harmful for them.

In general, fish like the look of an electric Gibson much more than a Fender. They don't like artsy metal, speed metal, death metal or country, but have a great appreciation for everything from 70s punk to guitar rock to baroque classics.

I met an old fisherman in Newfoundland who said that when he wanted to enjoy the company of humpback whales (okay, not fish, but....) he would put Beethoven's sixth symphony in his boat's (tinny) sound system. He said they loved that piece, but wouldn't come for Mozart.

the fish in my 125 gallon tank don't seem to be bothered by whatever type of music you play or how loud you play it.
you can accidentally tap the aquarium and they all jump.
they do watch everything that goes on. once a while back there was a program on the big screen tv about the Great Barrier Reef and I noticed all the fish were over at one end watching the tv.

Beware though. There is evidence that a hard tap on the glass, given the lateral line is an exposed nerve, may cause the fish pain. The old myth about fish not feeling pain is a comfy story for us, but study of their nervous systems shows that everything needed to feel pain is there and operating.

I blast my bass guitar in my room with the fish tanks all the time. I really expected them to be bothered by it, but every time I've experimented, they don't even seem to notice the noise. I suspect there's probably some weird sound conduction shenanigans because of the water.

Play them these guys .
IMG_0972.jpeg

Most reactions

Back