Fish Swap

weezebegs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I have just lost 2 neon's out of five that I bought on Monday so that leaves me with 3 neons which isn't really a shoal.

My tank is not happy at the moment, I have 4 penguin tetra'a and 1 seams to be a bully and has nipped big holes out of my guppies tails ( Doesn't seam to bother him still happy swimming)

So what shall I do.....take the 3 neon's back and get more penguins.

take the 4 penguins back and get more neon's or guppies.

I am about upto my limit so I have to be careful.

48L
2 shrimp - been told not to count them for a headcount ??

2 Albino Cory
3 Danio
4 Penguin
3 Neon
4 Guppies

Any suggestions are most welcome

Well I have just lost 2 neon's out of five that I bought on Monday so that leaves me with 3 neons which isn't really a shoal.

My tank is not happy at the moment, I have 4 penguin tetra'a and 1 seams to be a bully and has nipped big holes out of my guppies tails ( Doesn't seam to bother him still happy swimming)

So what shall I do.....take the 3 neon's back and get more penguins.

take the 4 penguins back and get more neon's or guppies.

I am about upto my limit so I have to be careful.

48L
2 shrimp - been told not to count them for a headcount ??

2 Albino Cory
3 Danio
4 Penguin
3 Neon
4 Guppies

Any suggestions are most welcome

I would up the number of corys and up the number of neons. Also most people will never have a true shoal in a home aquarium what your going for is a school.

This is a shoal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AyJUB_Yl70&feature=related

MMMmm I don't think that will fit in my tank......lovely vid though.

lost another neon last night..came downstairs this morning and saw the shrimp getting an early breakfast treat.

Don't think my tank is mature enough for neon's.....so will put that on hold for the time being.

Shall I take just the 1 bully penguin back or all 4 of them.

So neon's are off the list so what else for my little family tank

The success rate with neons is quite high if the tank is 6 months mature from start and a nice slow acclimation is used. I often acclimate on a day when I'm working on the tanks anyway and can just stretch the acclimation out over some big part of the day. The tank maturity period doesn't seem to have anything to do with cycling but is just an observation of many aquarists over the years.

I have come back to liking neons despite any number of years liking cardinals because the neons have that splash of silver.

I would probably still try another batch of neons, to up your numbers, considering your situation.

~~waterdrop~~

neons are fine if the waters fine I don;t agree with this 6 month thing that people mention. I usually always start a tank with neons

I think what you would be best doing is leaving the stock you have in for now let it all settle properly and mature a little and maybe go from there, you may find the neons don;t die any further and the scissortails calm down etc

are you feeding too much? these little fish really don;t need much?

I;d advise you get the water tested eitehr by getting the kits yourself or getting the LFS to do it. It may indicate a problem which will allow you to adjust your care of the fish accordingly. Its all part of the learning process but will help you have a happier tank cos the main reason people leave the hobby is struggling at first and losing faith.Its pretty straightforward once you get your routine sorted

Good luck

Simon

I never had problems keeping neons when first started out with a newly cycled tank,the only reason i returned them was they would fight all the time... :rolleyes:

Personally i would take the penguins back and try to get smaller fish like the neons.

I never had problems keeping neons when first started out with a newly cycled tank,the only reason i returned them was they would fight all the time... :rolleyes:

Personally i would take the penguins back and try to get smaller fish like the neons.

Agreed, what sex are the guppies out of interest

lilfishie...Glad you asked about what sex....

I am new to this and has just finished a very tiresome fish in cycle (Yes I know....bad advice from LFS) so have been concentrating on that and keeping my fish alive.

Once my tank is fully stocked up I would love to think that I could have some babies...obviously I would come to you guys before I start down that road.

One problem...I don't know how to sex fish...or is it not that black and white and it depends on each variety.

Simonas ....
I do have the API test and testing every day so I know the water is fine.

For my size tank I am feeding them 2-4 flakes that I crush up so that they all get a bit....does that sound about right.

OK ...will take my Penguins back on saturday and see what I can swap for...

I think I am going to loose another neon......just put the fish to bed and turned off the light and one of my neon is head down bum up.....

Most reactions

Back