Fish still have spots on day 7

Ursula

Reaction score
Hi, I have just been treating my Fish, Black neons and cardinal tetra, for Ich. I do have some Harlequin Rasbora but the seam not to have been affected. I have been treating them with Waterline white spot and fungus. I am now on the 7th day, last dose went in yesterday, the issue I have is that the fish still have spots, I was going to do a water change today, should I leave it for a few days to wait for the spots to disappear. I feel that the water change will remove the medication and not get the parasite when the spots come off, water has been tested and is good. Please help, Google is giving me conflicting info.

Hi, I have just been treating my Fish, Black neons and cardinal tetra, for Ich. I do have some Harlequin Rasbora but the seam not to have been affected. I have been treating them with Waterline white spot and fungus. I am now on the 7th day, last dose went in yesterday, the issue I have is that the fish still have spots, I was going to do a water change today, should I leave it for a few days to wait for the spots to disappear. I feel that the water change will remove the medication and not get the parasite when the spots come off, water has been tested and is good. Please help, Google is giving me conflicting info.
Do you have a photo of the fish? Has the ich spread or moved at all?

Do you have a photo of the fish? Has the ich spread or moved at all?
Hi, I can't get a descent photo, it disappeared from the Cardinals, but spread to the Black neons, the Black neons are starting to clear up, but the Cardinals are now covered again. Other than the spots the fish are acting normally, the od scratch but they don't look sick.

Have you tried raising the tank temperatures? Ich doesn’t survive well in heat. Try SLOWLY raising the temps to about 87F. I’m not familiar with the brand you’re using, so I have no idea how effective it is. I would try to do more natural methods before using more of that stuff, medications like that can be really tough on the fish and sometimes your beneficial bacteria too.

Have you tried raising the tank temperatures? Ich doesn’t survive well in heat. Try SLOWLY raising the temps to about 87F. I’m not familiar with the brand you’re using, so I have no idea how effective it is. I would try to do more natural methods before using more of that stuff, medications like that can be really tough on the fish and sometimes your beneficial bacteria too.
Cheers, I will take that on. A few places said abou the temp, I was afraid it may harm the fish.

I would add that a large water change to remove the meds before raising the temperature will be beneficial. Both methods decrease oxygen in the water so it is best not to combine them.
Clean the substrate as well to remove the ich cysts.

Edit: spelling/ autocorrect

Last edited:
I would add that a large water change to remove the meds before raising the temperature will be beneficial. Both methods decrease oxygen in the water so it is best not to combine them.
Clean the substrate as well to remove the ich cysts.

Edit: spelling/ autocorrect
Cool, so If I do a 50% Tomorrow, then pop the temperature up. I think the fish I've got can live with the water on the warm side, or so I have read.

The temperature should be raised for 2 weeks, or for 1 week after the last spot has disappeared. Most fish can tolerate this for a short period of time; it's no worse than that record breaking heatwave we had in the UK last year.

The temperature should be raised for 2 weeks, or for 1 week after the last spot has disappeared. Most fish can tolerate this for a short period of time; it's no worse than that record breaking heatwave we had in the UK last year.
Cool, thanks. Are Cardinal Tetra particularly prone to this? Convinced the Ich came in on them, and they seam to be taking the brunt of it. Thanks again.

Cool, thanks. Are Cardinal Tetra particularly prone to this? Convinced the Ich came in on them, and they seam to be taking the brunt of it. Thanks again.
Where did you buy the fish? I had fish with ich twice, once from Pets at Home (never again), once from Maidenhead Aquatics. For the last 3 years or so I have only got fish from Sweet Knowle Aquatics and they have all been great quality and ich free.

As the cardinals are now on their second cycle of ich they might not all make it. But the two weeks heat treatment was very effective when I had to treat ich.

Where did you buy the fish? I had fish with ich twice, once from Pets at Home (never again), once from Maidenhead Aquatics. For the last 3 years or so I have only got fish from Sweet Knowle Aquatics and they have all been great quality and ich free.

As the cardinals are now on their second cycle of ich they might not all make it. But the two weeks heat treatment was very effective when I had to treat ich.
Yea, they look a bit scraggy to be honest, fins are going. I buy from a local Place, Independent. My other guys have been Excellent quality. Especially the Rasbora, they have so far been unaffected 🤞 Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it goes.

Out of curiosity as to why the Waterlife ich treatment didn't work, have you re-checked the dosage amount on the instructions? I looked them up but there are two ich meds with different dose rates- one called protozin, so I'm not sure which yours is.

Out of curiosity as to why the Waterlife ich treatment didn't work, have you re-checked the dosage amount on the instructions? I looked them up but there are two ich meds with different dose rates- one called protozin, so I'm not sure which yours is.
Protozin, 1ml per 10 ltr, The tank is 60ltr white spot and fungus. The guy in the shop says that's what he uses.

So you used 6ml on each of the four doses?

Unfortunately shop workers are usually just interested in the sale...if the fish don't make it, they figure you'll be back for more and they get another sale.

Unfortunately shop workers are usually just interested in the sale...if the fish don't make it, they figure you'll be back for more and they get another sale.

Yea, 6ml for each, I think I waited to long before acting Dithered a bit as to what I was seeing.

Most reactions

Back