Fish staying in the bottom of corner of the tank.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

as074n

Reaction score
Hey guys brand new to this forum. I have a 20g long planted tank. It's is cycled. I have 4 neon tetras and 6 ember tetras 3 fancy guppies and 5 panda Corey's. The guppies and pandas are all over the place but tetras are just all hanging in the bottom of the tank. I'm running a marineland 200 filter. Is my flow to strong ? I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Hello and welcome :)
Please post test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and GH. A photo of the tank might help identify any problems too.

Welcome to the forum. How long have the tetras been in the tank? Also neons are better off in groups of 6 or more. I have both neon and ember and they like plenty of plants in the tank also a temp around 76 degrees or so. Floating plants also help since they are from the jungle streams of South American. A genital current and shade, they do not like bright lights.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)
Please post test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and GH. A photo of the tank might help identify any problems too.
Here is a pic of my tank. I have a some more plants on the way I do want to rescape

Attachments

• 3258581D-06F9-494B-84F8-00F2F041A99E.jpeg
    3258581D-06F9-494B-84F8-00F2F041A99E.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 269
Welcome to the forum. How long have the tetras been in the tank? Also neons are better off in groups of 6 or more. I have both neon and ember and they like plenty of plants in the tank also a temp around 76 degrees or so. Floating plants also help since they are fron the jungle streams of South American. A genital current and shade, they do not like bright lights.
They have been in the tank for now a few weeks the 20g is about 2 weeks old

Nice tank but too open for tetras. They like more plants and places to hide. They like it shadier so floating plants would help to lower the light. Where they come from there is a lot of shade from the jungle trees above them. They may feel stressed from the bright lights. Can you put something on the back like a aquarium background that will help.

Last edited:
I agree this is likely a matter of lack of cover. If you could post the test numbers asked for by Naughts it would confirm (or not, as the case may be). But both neon tetras and Ember tetras are quiet fish. They will swim but never to the extent of the guppies or panda cories which are both more active fish. Floating plants would help a lot here, and the background suggested above. Plain black construction paper works very well, you don't want bright picture backgrounds to clash with your plants and fish; a piece of construction paper cut and taped on the outside back wall will work well, I have this on all my tanks.

And you should get a few more of both tetras; 8-9 of the neons and another three Embers would help too. I cannot tell from the photo what the filter flow might be like, but there are ways to reduce the current down the tank if that is needed.

I agree this is likely a matter of lack of cover. If you could post the test numbers asked for by Naughts it would confirm (or not, as the case may be). But both neon tetras and Ember tetras are quiet fish. They will swim but never to the extent of the guppies or panda cories which are both more active fish. Floating plants would help a lot here, and the background suggested above. Plain black construction paper works very well, you don't want bright picture backgrounds to clash with your plants and fish; a piece of construction paper cut and taped on the outside back wall will work well, I have this on all my tanks.

And you should get a few more of both tetras; 8-9 of the neons and another three Embers would help too. I cannot tell from the photo what the filter flow might be like, but there are ways to reduce the current down the tank if that is needed.
Great idea with the construction paper I was going to pant the back this is so much easier I'm deff going to move that cave to the corner of the tank and add more plants prob break up the big rock and make some stacked formations some places to hide . So u say get more fish I was worried about over stocking . You think I won't be over stocked if I got more with what I already have ?

Great idea with the construction paper I was going to pant the back this is so much easier I'm deff going to move that cave to the corner of the tank and add more plants prob break up the big rock and make some stacked formations some places to hide . So u say get more fish I was worried about over stocking . You think I won't be over stocked if I got more with what I already have ?

No, you will not be overstocked. The length and width are more important than volume first because it means more surface area for the gas exchange and second it gives the fish more area as most of them think horizontally not vertically, if that makes sense. Also, having a larger group will tend to mean less impact on the biological system (within reason obviously, you can go way overboard) because the fish will be "happier." Difficult to explain these things. Keep regular with partial water changes (50-70% of the tank volume once each week), do not overfeed. Floating plants will also have quite a benefit on this too.

Hi, I agree somewhat with all that's said but my tank has no shade or floating plants with bright lights and the neons are all over the place and are happy so I'm thinking it's more a water issue. I see all the time about inch to gal but isn't water changes, quality of filtration and feeding more important ? I no from my koi days that you cannot over filter and build gradually or have issues.
I had a fish expert down today and he said all I do is good and the tank is healthy which it is, but here I am well overstocked with a bad mix but he said I can have more fish. !!!
Just my take on things, but whatever works for you must be right.

Hi, I agree somewhat with all that's said but my tank has no shade or floating plants with bright lights and the neons are all over the place and are happy so I'm thinking it's more a water issue. I see all the time about inch to gal but isn't water changes, quality of filtration and feeding more important ? I no from my koi days that you cannot over filter and build gradually or have issues.
I had a fish expert down today and he said all I do is good and the tank is healthy which it is, but here I am well overstocked with a bad mix but he said I can have more fish. !!!
Just my take on things, but whatever works for you must be right.
I go by what I have read about neon tetras and their natural habitat when I give advice, there are differing opinions out there on just about everything and I try to keep an open mind. If it works for you and your neon tetras seem happy than that is good. I have a 55 gallon tetra tank with neon, ember and glow light tetras. I have only 25 tetras and 2 cory along with some snails in my tank so I guess I am under stocked :) I just gave away 16 red eyed tetra (started with 5 and they had 11 fry in 3 months) in part because I was concerned about becoming overcrowded and I wanted to add more ember tetras.

We cannot possibly know what is "right" for any species unless we understand their environment (habitat) and something about the fish itself, and that means research. I laugh when anyone says their fish are "happy" in spite of this or that. Earlier this week in a discussion on sand/gravel for cories on CorydorasWorld, Ian Fuller wrote:

Many people argue and state that “Their Cory’s are perfectly happy living over gravel”. But I find it very difficult to see how they can determine the happiness of a fish. They may be surviving and because they are actively scurrying around in their constant hunt for food are seen as being happy.​

Continue to do your reading, Retired Viking, and you will be successful with healthy fish that really are happy.

Most reactions

Back