Fish sick with either ich or fungus please help identify!

Redtailedshark

Reaction score
My freshwater tank recently has been affected by some sort of white disease primarily effecting my poor swordtails, I can’t identify whether it’s ich or a fungus, please help me
IMG_1938.png
IMG_1940.jpeg

It's not white spot (Ichthyophthirius) and doesn't appear to be fungus.

Can you post some pictures showing the fish from the side instead of weird angles?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
How long have the fish looked like that?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?

It's not white spot (Ichthyophthirius) and doesn't appear to be fungus.

Can you post some pictures showing the fish from the side instead of weird angles?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
How long have the fish looked like that?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?
The water changes are every four days, it’s always decorated and the tank was set up to run and cycle for two months before fish(I know overkill) I always change water and gravel vacuum and water conditions are normal the fish have looked like this for two days now and the most recent fish were about a week ago!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 18
How long have you had the swordtails for?
What type of fish were added 1 week ago?

How much water do you change?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water (in numbers)?

How long have you had the swordtails for?
What type of fish were added 1 week ago?

How much water do you change?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water (in numbers)?
I’ve had sword tails two weeks and added BA tetras and a dwarf gourami a week ago I do a 25-50% water change, and I have a sponge filter and a pretty basic hob filter, filter is cleaned biweekly

Whats a BA tetra?

Any idea what the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH are?
I ask because the water looks milky cloudy and that is normally caused by uneaten food rotting in the tank and this can lead to ammonia or nitrite problems.

Ammonia and nitrite problems can stress the fish and cause them to produce excess mucous and sometimes things stick to the mucous and cause odd lumps to appear on the fish.

Whats a BA tetra?

I ask because the water looks milky cloudy and that is normally caused by uneaten food rotting in the tank and this can lead to ammonia or nitrite problems.

Ammonia and nitrite problems can stress the fish and cause them to produce excess mucous and sometimes things stick to the mucous and cause odd lumps to appear on the fish.
I need to retest my water parameters after work today for sure and the Buenos Aires tetra! It could be water parameters are bad I sssumed it was due to the algal bloom in my tank but I will recheck and update you

Whats a BA tetra?

The levels are all .006 or under ammonia is 0.01, nitrite .003 and nitrate .006

What sort of test kit are you using for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I’ve had sword tails two weeks and added BA tetras and a dwarf gourami a week ago I do a 25-50% water change, and I have a sponge filter and a pretty basic hob filter, filter is cleaned biweekly
Do you clean the filter 2 times a week or every second week?
How do you clean the filters?

---------------

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

How many Buenos Aires tetras do you have?
Buenos Aires tetras are fin nippers and unless you have at least 10 of them in a big tank (3 foot long or bigger), they might be nipping the swordtails and the damaged fins are getting excess mucous or some fungus on them.

---------------

You can try doing a big (75%) water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week and see if that helps. Otherwise add some salt.

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for 1 to 2 weeks. If there's no improvement after a week with salt, stop using it and water change it out.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket (2 litres/ half a gallon) of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Most reactions

Back