Fish Scared And Unhappy, Need Advice.....

Oh, and is that your heater mounted vertically?

They need to be at an angle of about 45° so change it from | to /
Keep an eye on the water temperature when you do this as it may go down so the heater may need readjusting.

Andy

To my knowledge there is no reason a heater needs to be at an angle. Most manufacturers reccomend situating it vertically. Also as long as it's in the water flow so the heated water gets moved around it shouldn't make much difference, right ?

I think all heaters with this built in thermostat design should be mounted at an angle. The thermostat is at the top of the heater. As the heater heats up the water around it will rise and if mounted vertically the just heated water will go straight past the thermostat giving the thermostat a false indication (or more importantly an unstable indication) of the temperature of the surrounding water.

It is the heat of the water of the entire tank you are trying to target & stabilize, not just the immediate locale of the heater. Also for this very reason the heater should not be placed in a stagnant region of the tank, better still in a fast flowing region. Again the the heater should be placed in the middle of the tank, not at the bottom, not at the top so that the temperature sensed by the thermostat is a true meridian.

Similar situation to having a thermostat in a house mounted above a radiator. Yes the heat you set is correct for immediate area, but in the rest of the house it is all over the place. Conversely if the thermostat is one end of the room and the radiator the other, then the temperature you set on the thermostat will be a truer indication of the temperature of the room as a whole.

OK so a heater that is mounted in an area of flowing water, would I still mount it at an angle... yes I would because this assumes that the water pump is always on - what if it breaks or you need to stop it or it gets clogged....

Andy

betta sharks, of what i know.. do not bull at all, need to be in pair of at least 2 and are very shy/scared fish,
please take him back if your not going to get buddy for him and a bigger tank soon.

If all else fails, and you have to completely restock- angels wouls love that tall tank and would be very happy in there. They are not a shy fish, and will warm up right away to you. I would do 3 large angels, and maybe a few small fish. Also give your fish time. It is normal for them to be a bit scared at first. I am an angel-a holic as you can see!

betta sharks, of what i know.. do not bull at all, need to be in pair of at least 2 and are very shy/scared fish,
please take him back if your not going to get buddy for him and a bigger tank soon.
What's a Betta Shark? I've not heard of them before :/

Oh damn!!! I got excited there thinking there was another Betta species! :drool:

Oh damn!!! I got excited there thinking there was another Betta species! :drool:
haha i think the betta would pick on him if he was still young :p

i have 4 of those sharks now, i just love the look of them and they're not mean to the other fish and are great swimmers!

Most reactions

Back