Fish on-line

Aroc2226

Reaction score
I’m not really at that point yet. I need to make sure my aquarium is in good shape.

I’m in a location in the country where a local pet store is an hour away or more and those aren’t all that good. Unfortunately the big block pet stores have put all the good locally owned stores out of business.

I’m considering ordering online but in a few weeks when things warm up.

Has anyone had experience ordering online?

Just curious….there are a lot of options out there so I figured there must be some reputable ones.

The fish in my local big chain fish stores never look very good. I order fish online and have never had a bad experience. The same goes for aquatic plants in the big chain stores. I do have one small LFS that does have a good supply of tropical fish and I do shop there when possible, but if I’m looking for something that is a little harder to find locally I will order online. This topic has come up before on the boards, just do a search for “buying fish online” and you’ll see places that members here like to shop online.

My landlord uses Live Fish DireCt in Utah and Imperial Tropicals in Florida and got some otherwise unavailable fish. She got ripped off by iFish, DOA fish and later deaths.

While their warehouse is local for me and I've never had to have fish shipped from them I will still recommend Dan's Fish.
All tanks are independent so no chance of cross contamination and they quarantine before sale.

The warehouse, being in Sheridan WY is also not that far from you so shipping stress might be lessened.

Before I buy online, I do some digging to see where the fish come from before the seller gets them. If they are buying from the same sources as Petco or the like, then those are the fish you are getting and you gain little doing an end run around poor stock. Unfortunately, the best sellers focus on rarer fish - it pays more and they tend not to get dying fish from their suppliers. Dan's Fish, Reheboth, Jonah's, The Wet Spot - they have a reputation that crosses borders.
I have trusted sources in Canada, and unless I am traveling where they are, I expect to be an online buyer from now on.

No specific recommendations because I am in the UK. I found a decent supplier here and have no qualms using them - for the last few years I have pretty much bought fish exclusively on-line. Having found one I do trust I stick with them - even if others offer better prices or deals.

No specific recommendations because I am in the UK. I found a decent supplier here and have no qualms using them - for the last few years I have pretty much bought fish exclusively on-line. Having found one I do trust I stick with them - even if others offer better prices or deals.
I'm in UK as well, what's your supplier?

Before I buy online, I do some digging to see where the fish come from before the seller gets them. If they are buying from the same sources as Petco or the like, then those are the fish you are getting and you gain little doing an end run around poor stock. Unfortunately, the best sellers focus on rarer fish - it pays more and they tend not to get dying fish from their suppliers. Dan's Fish, Reheboth, Jonah's, The Wet Spot - they have a reputation that crosses borders.
I have trusted sources in Canada, and unless I am traveling where they are, I expect to be an online buyer from now on.
Hey, just thought that I'd let you know that Dan's Fish now ships to Canada. Still, with Dan's being in the western U.S. and you being in eastern Canada, it would be a long ship. Shipping distance is something I consider. The longer the distance the more the fish are subjected to weather and temperature. I started to include that the longer the distance the more transfer points where the fish are getting tossed around but a reputable outfit is probably going to insist on next day air shipping so that is probably not a real factor.

Actually here is an other shipping outfit that I would try again although I only got 1 fish from them. The fish arrived very healthy, in plenty of bagged water and a styrofoam cooler to insulate. This was my rope fish as Dan's Fish was out of stock.
I don't know if they are shipping to Canada but, if they do, it would be a much shorter ship as they are, I believe, in Connecticut.

Most reactions

Back